Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bizarre event this morning, went to drive to work and discovered that the rear window was shattered but fully intact.

Background:
Drove home last night around 6degC and used the rear demist, but I had a suspicion it stopped working part way home.
Parked in my secure car park, no public access.
So I touched the rear window after parking for the night and it was cold, but the door mirror glass was warm.

In the morning, I got in and started driving to work when I notice the glass was shattered but intact.
I decided to stop at the Alfa dealer on the way to work and get it repaired.
It wasn't until I shut the door that it fully broke and fell in. grr

The whole thing is very bizarre and I can't think why a 3rd year old window would sudden break due to temperature difference.
Anyway love to hear if anyone else has heard of this happening.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
If your car is a 2011 as shown on the LHS panel above then the glass is five years old unless it had previously been replaced.

However I agree this is bizarre. The only times I have had broken glass it has been due to impact from a flying object. In the case of the side window a flying stone thrown up by a grass strimmer. It is possible that a small stone could impact hard enough to cause cracking, which or a rear window would lead to multiple small pieces but, like a jigsaw, the pieces would remain in place until a further pressure wave, from shutting the door, would cause the complete assembly to collapse.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I've experienced a wind screen chatter a long time ago when they weren't laminated. I was after a drive in a very cold night (perhaps -10C) with full heat on the defroster slots. But after a drive in +6C temperature either there is a twist in the hatch door (has it suffered a rear impact?) or something has hit it.

·
Administrator
46,741 Posts
I'd suspect there was an un-noticed crack there somewhere, and it was therefore much more vulnerable to the weather.

That said, as a kid we had those glass / pyrex plates. Once day when I was desperately wishing not to have to eat the veg on mine it suddenly shattered with no warning. I called it divine providence, but probably just one of those things - like your window.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going with either installation flaw/or tiny corner chip or a Nickel Sulfide inclusion.
Apparently this is random problem which can occur on hardened glass anytime due to thermal expansion up to 20years after glass is made.
I found a few reports of VW, 147, etc having this happen with no obvious reason.

Car was parked in a secure car park with the rear facing the wall.
Car has no evidence of accident damage, but one can never tell. I discovered restoring an old car many years ago, a fork lift tine drag mark repaired in the factory..

·
Registered
38,707 Posts
Meteorite? :lol:

A bit different, but I was driving a Citroen C5 estate a few years back which belonged to my old company.

On a 60mph stretch of A road the back window just shattered for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well all fixed, 250 Euro for a new screen. Bit down about not being able to convince them it was a glass fault.

On a positive note I got to compare a 2015 1.4T (4000km) vs 2011 1.4T (70,000km) back to back. Short note below
2015 Positives.
Body flex/twist felt much better.
Less squeak and rattles.
Generally better NVH.
Nicer steering wheel shape and leather.
Better multimedia.
More positive engagement for the HVAC controls.

2015 Negatives.
Really lacked low end torque but a new engine.
Steering was a lot lighter and vague on centre(both cars where on 16" winter tyres)
Steering weight in D mode was like N on the 2011.
No centre switches.

Same
Wind noise around mirrors
Same vague undefined rattle around door/dash A pillar.
Same randomly badly installed interior flaws..

Oh and I picked up a Guila catalogue (drool)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you go to the Danish Alfa Romeo site and click on the Giulia you get an international site Giulia Models | Alfa Romeo
As far as I could see there is no reference to a delivery date. I've read that the Giulia had problems to get past the side impact test, so they are probably busy solving that problem.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When can you order a guilia? Not yet in the UK!
Mid April they allegedly hit the show room. My local dealer is renovating for the event and invited me for a test drive and to attend the launch party.
Small overlap is a new crash test that the U.S. Insurance agencies invented a few years ago. It is no reflection on Alfa that they delayed to improve the performance. Go to YouTube and see how brutal this test is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts