Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long period of time I've heard people talk on here about the rear set ups on GTV's and have you felt its active rear steer.
So please, in your best poetic descriptive manor can you please describe this phenom for me. Thanks

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
Not active, passive

This is the way i understand it anyway: The rear arms are rose jointed which under a certain load allow for a little flex. In theory it reduces the turning circle when moving, allowing the rear end to step out slightly and turn a bit more than front lock allows. I'm sure some smartass will be along soon to say otherwise

To be honest its such a small amount of movement i doubt you will notice the effect. I certainly haven't anyway

·
63,489 Posts
If it was active rear steering the wheels would turn with the fronts when stood still. A neighbour from the past had a Honda Prelude with such a system and it was weird!

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Like Gaz said it's passive, the only time I've ever felt it was when I was really pushing it at Croft and it feels sort of like a drift but not a drift it you get what I mean :lol:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes HM the only time I thought I felt it was when realy pushing, the back end feels like its going to step out, a bit like what a 147 would do with worn trailing arm bushes, then it just follows the track of the car. In a left hand turn I think as the o/s of the car loads up and compresses the suspension on that side, unloads on the n/s and uncompresses :)confused:) this change the geometry of the rear suspension and turns into the turn ever so slightly.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah sorry wrong wording. As i sure you've guessed something happened the other evening and im just trying to figure out if it was the phenom or I've a problem lol

·
63,489 Posts
Go on describe it. Was it progressive or a sudden step? Was it a small shift or a bloody great lurch? Have you had your rear arms changed?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Go on describe it. Was it progressive or a sudden step? Was it a small shift or a bloody great lurch? Have you had your rear arms changed?
Yes we need to know, were you driving like a loon :D

·
Registered
946 Posts
My GTV was like a go kart :lol:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I sense it in the Spider at moderate to hard cornering (but not at tyre screeching levels). I would describe the effect as similar to what a tilting train does. The car feels like there is less load on the outside tyre and less spring compression than you would expect, so the car almost "hovers" in the springs at an attitude that you would not expect at that level of cornering force.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've noticed it on fast islands. The back end swings round a treat, as if it's going to break loose. A bit strange at first but it really gets you around the corner :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Although not a GTV, my old Peugeot 306 had passive rear steering too, first time I felt it (not knowing about this feature!), I thought I had a minor case of over steer!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I noticed rear steer on my 2 litre, my first GTV, a gentle and progressive 'drift' through quick corners.
My 3 litre with rock hard Armstong rear dampers does not noticeably exhibit the phenomenon but I may just have got too familiar with it.
Both cars have standard factory spec. bushings. 2 litre uses rubber bushes inboard on the rear spring pan and 3 litre has sphericals instead which may be why I don't notice it on the 3 litre as it will affect the characteritics in roll.
I would imagine that a powerflexed system would be so busy fighting the *******ised suspension characteristics that the effect would be absent?
Expensive spherical joints are there for a reason!! :tut:

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
'HOLY SCHIT' ah no wait that was not me loosing control, twas that helping rear steer thing.

Not to be confused with actually loosing control...:lol:

·
63,489 Posts
^^^ Can be backed up with photographic evidence if required!

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
Booting it on a roundabout then exiting left I have "felt" something from the rear - like a VERY minor correction. It is powerflexed which does not seem to negate the effect. This was only a few of times in the GTV btw - now I don't notice it but I am sure it still occurs.

Booting the Spider in the same circumstances the Q2 diff takes over - the amount of work it does can be felt and heard (if you listen very, very carefully) - it overrides any feeling from the rear.

The important thing imo is to regularly get the 4 wheel tracking done - each tyre/suspension bush change for example. This frees everything up, takes into account the changes and thus will ensure any passive effect is maintained.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have owned my Spider since January 2010. Initially, I always thought the handling was 'fair' and then late last year I had the rear end powerflexed and a few other (original spec) improvements, struts, bump stops etc. The handling is now totally reformed. It's difficult to accurately put into words but the major difference is that now I have the ability to confidently 'plant' the front wheels into a corner knowing that the rear end will follow the intended trajectory without any blip or variation and although I know the back doesn't really steer, there is a confidence that my throttle control can somehow influence how the back end performs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts