Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a squeek / squeel from rear wheels of car, not both wheels at the same time. It's mainly on the drivers side and sometimes on the passenger. Thing is, it is never there until he car has been driven some miles first, as if needs to heat up first !! Thoughts / ideas would be appreciated.

Also think need to replace my thermostat. temperature generally sits around 50 to 70. Fuel economy is 31.5 mpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
i've had the same problem in the past, the squeel comes from the brake pads getting hot because they are touching the disc, it starts off fine and after a few miles the squeel appears and gets progressively worse as they get hotter. What i did was remove the rear pads from the carrier and give it a good clean up with a wire brush, i just made sure my pads moved freely in the carrier before putting it all back together, its an easy job and should cure the squeel. Fuel economy seems fine to me, better than mine in fact.:)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
if its like an old pram then its bushes............... very common many posts on here about it i had it and it was sometimes there sometimes not

eventually got to be to embarasing new pollybush kit and its sorted

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks lads for the information. It is getting worse and starting to be a bit embarrassing, especially with the roof down pulling into the pub car park !!! Though might be pads anti squeel but niot sure as break performance is not being affected. Will check it out

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
i've had the same problem in the past, the squeel comes from the brake pads getting hot because they are touching the disc, it starts off fine and after a few miles the squeel appears and gets progressively worse as they get hotter. What i did was remove the rear pads from the carrier and give it a good clean up with a wire brush, i just made sure my pads moved freely in the carrier before putting it all back together, its an easy job and should cure the squeel. Fuel economy seems fine to me, better than mine in fact.:)
Mine had the same symptoms, squealing when moving slowly with warm brakes, and I did the same as above and that cured it.

When it is squeaking gently press the brake pedal and it should stop if this is what is causing the noise.

D

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem with my GTV. Pulling on the handbrake slightly got rid of it, though this is not entirely practical or advisable for any length of time!! Got the rear brakes stripped down and cleaned though and they have been fine ever since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts