Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daily driver p1 916 Spider twinspark failed MOT recently and one was rear wheel bearing Drivers side. Ordered a new SKF bearing and it arrived and fitted on Saturday. This is not the first time i have changed one of these and have encountered welded inner race and new bearings needing considerable effort to push home on stub axle ......... but this one was different.

The failed bearing once nut was removed just came straight off the axle with little or no resistance, the new bearing was the same upon fitting and i genuinely feel that it's the hub nut and nothing else holding the bearing in place. Therefore, should i now be considering a new rear stub axle /hub or is this fairly normal ?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
With the hub but done up to the correct torque and the wheel on can you feel any play when grabbing the wheel in the 12.30 and quarter to three position.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dan, i thought that was the case as regards checking front suspension but i wasn't aware it was used to treat rear. I will be watching this wheel very carefully as the rear hub nut is not calked like you do on front.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the car for a proper drive today and it was glorious that the drone i had convinced myself was a failed drive shaft and replaced both sides .....twice and it turned out to be rear wheel bearing.

Anyways, currently enjoying the relatively silent suspension but think that this will occur again in near future as there was no resistance either upon removal of previous and install of the new, In the past when changing rear wheel bearings i have had to use a block of wood and a hammer to get bearing on but this one appears to have a worn stub axle? Has anyone else had the zero resistance when installing and being alarmed that it is literally the hub nut holding the wheel on the car!?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nearside rear on mine was a swine to get off changed it about 18 months ago . When the offside needed changing back in February this year I was pleasantly surprised when it came off without any effort. Has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy days mate, it was the off side on mine that fell off and the nearside was a swine ..........wonder if this is a common occurance on UK cars ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts