Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you find rear visibility and parralel parking in the Giulietta? Would you chose parking sensors if you were speccing a new vehicle?

I think I'm going to chose the veloce spec, but wondering if I should find the extra money for the sensors if they're really needed.

I saw a youtube review of the Giulietta where someone mention that they thought it would be a good idea to have them.

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wish i'd have got the sensors fitted, i did try and get them included after i placed the order but it was too late.
I dont think i've ever parallel parked since i past my test! I think it would be even easier to take some chunks out of my lovely turbines if i did :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Its not a massive car so I wouldn't both. Spend the money on the red calipers :)
It always makes me laugh when I see Minin with them on

·
Registered
831 Posts
in my view all these gadgets etc although good for safety make a person a lazy driver

they rely on the gadgets to warn people and do not concentrate as much as they should which then spreads around to other areas of driving

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I don't have them and can definitely live without them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First car I've had in a long time that doesn't have them. I'm managing without them fine. That said its a company lease car so I'm not overly bothered! (Poor attitude I know, but there you go!)

As Munco says, if you have the spare cash, get the red calipers; or an after market lowering kit!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I find mine extremely useful and have prevented me from running over my neighbours deaf moggy twice as i reversed off my drive. It must have walked out and sat in the drive looking down the road and wasn't visible in the rear mirrors or window.
The radar style dash display is nice too.
I could live without them, but the cat probably wouldnt :lol:

I suspect parking sensors will be more of a selling point if you sell privately in a few years time rather than big red brakes, but i suppose that will all depend who comes to buy it. Hopefully that will be a long way off anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
in my view all these gadgets etc although good for safety make a person a lazy driver

they rely on the gadgets to warn people and do not concentrate as much as they should which then spreads around to other areas of driving
That right there is exactly what I thought as I was reading down.

Also, parking sensors will not prevent you from kerbing your turbines.....learn to edge your way in using experience of markers on the car like you were taught when you took lessons.
Parking sensors are not without their value, definitely when it comes to small children inadvertently running behind your vehicle, however if you are constantly edging your radar into the red while parking, I suggest you are trying to park in a space that no G(or any car for that matter) should be.

M

·
Registered
9 Posts
The door mirrors are really big, and that helps with parking too.

That said, I have the sensors and I reverse park in a multistorey every day, so they help take some of the guesswork out for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know why they don't just fit them as a standard with the option of switching them off. I can't say they've made me a lazy driver; it's not like the car parks itself - now there's an idea!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I suspect parking sensors will be more of a selling point if you sell privately in a few years time rather than big red brakes
Yeah, if you'll be selling it to a 40-year old housewife that had previously owned a Golf TDI ;). Rather unlikely.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't know why they don't just fit them as a standard with the option of switching them off. I can't say they've made me a lazy driver; it's not like the car parks itself - now there's an idea!
New Focus??? that being said i'd rather my car not park itself than drive a ford :D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
get the car and if you're not comfortable without them then get them retro fitted for a fraction of the factory fitted price, i know you'll lose the dashboard display but some dodgy dealers have been fitting them on after the car has arrived at the showroom and charging the full factory price! i've got them on my work vehicle and they are just a pain in the ar*e, they activate all the time when reversing on gravel and all i can hear hours after driving the car are beeps!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
get the car and if you're not comfortable without them then get them retro fitted for a fraction of the factory fitted price, i know you'll lose the dashboard display but some dodgy dealers have been fitting them on after the car has arrived at the showroom and charging the full factory price! i've got them on my work vehicle and they are just a pain in the ar*e, they activate all the time when reversing on gravel and all i can hear hours after driving the car are beeps!
I have never had my factory ones go off when reversing on gravel on my G or previous 147 (there is a pretty rubbish gravel car park near where i work that i have used several times).

Perhaps the retro fitted ones on your work vehicle are not fitted correctly. They have to be at the right angle between the cars bumper and road surface to work correctly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a saddo who is now programmed to use reversing sensors! If I did not not have them I know I would forget and damage my G!

But on a serious note, if you have small kids in your neighbourhood, that you may not see in your mirror if they are behind the car, then it's a given that you have them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts