Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a rear view camera for my GT's Pioneer AVIC-X1. It requires a 12v feed, however, I was just wondering if i could piggy back it off the reverse light power?

Anyone had any experiences with this?

On another note, how easy is it to run the video feed (or any wire) from the rear to the front? The control panel is behind the climate control which i already have access to. I've had many cars before this and have installed sounds in all so I'm used to the labour.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have just purchased a rear view camera for my GT's Pioneer AVIC-X1. It requires a 12v feed, however, I was just wondering if i could piggy back it off the reverse light power?

Anyone had any experiences with this?

On another note, how easy is it to run the video feed (or any wire) from the rear to the front? The control panel is behind the climate control which i already have access to. I've had many cars before this and have installed sounds in all so I'm used to the labour.

Many thanks in advance.
In case you have finished your camera install on the GT, I would be interested to know where you mounted the camera? Under the boot on a bracket or in a drilled hole? I am considering a reverse cam for my GT, but not sure on the best approach

·
Registered
379 Posts
When I fitted mine (using v/cheap eBay parts). I screwed the camera onto the top of the rear number plate - it doesn't look out of place and won't leave any visible holes if I remove it - so long as I replace the number plate also.

I used a wireless radio type so I didn't need to wire it to the front of the car to the screen (they are virtually the same price as wired and so much easier).

I earthed the camera to a screw under the spare wheel well and took a live feed from the reverse light (easy to do and obviously it switches on the camera only when it's needed). The hole for the wires is behind the number plate.

I got power for the screen from piggy-backing the cigar lighter - all the cabling and receiver live under the ashtray flap. The screen plugs in under that flap cover when I need to use it.

If I did a little cutting (or got a slightly smaller screen) I could leave it permanently in place and covered by the ash tray flap, but for now it works O.K. as it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I earthed the camera to a screw under the spare wheel well and took a live feed from the reverse light (easy to do and obviously it switches on the camera only when it's needed).
JonB, Where did you get the reverse live feed from. I stripped as much away but couldn't find it. If my camera has permanent power, it's always displayed on the screen!

·
Registered
379 Posts
JonB, Where did you get the reverse live feed from. I stripped as much away but couldn't find it. If my camera has permanent power, it's always displayed on the screen!
I took the feed from the live wire to the reversing light - where the wires exit the reverse light housing at the rear of the car. I used a "Scotchlok" to tap the live wire. I fed the new wire through the boot behind the felt trim and under the boot lid seal to behind the rear number plate. The ariel and sender unit for the camera are mounted inside the rear bumper - I cut the hole to get them in behind the number plate so all that is visible is the camera, which is mounted on the number plate (top centre).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts