Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mainly for Rich Shaw.

If you try to fit a rear undertray (fuel tank guard) as fitted to earlier models / V6's you need different fuel tank straps as later models don't have the bracket on them that the guard bolts to! These are about £5 each I think.
The bolts for holdig this on are parts:
Front fitting onto fuel strap
2 x 0011612624 = 40p
2 x 0007628401 = £1.76

Rear clips onto bumper
6 x 0060806161 Flat washer = £3.36
6 x 0060809710 Screw = £0.54

Not sure on the fuel straps, but I think they changed after July 96.

Why do Alfa make it so difficult!!

G

·
Henry,
Pease tell me, what is the aerodynamic purpose of this underwing that you are taliking about? Is it for a handling or top speed advantage?

Regards
Jacques

G

·
The V6's have them as standard and Henry's just trying to work his way up to one wink

Seriously, I think it's supposed to smooth the airflow underneath the car.........it will also protect the underside from all that nasty dirt and mud :D

wrinx

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The smoother you have the airflow under the car, the better handling you have in theory. If you lower the car and have a smooth bottom (lol!) then the air will flow faster and generate a vaccum which inturn creates downforce.

The reason I was fitting it is becasue it cost me £10 brand new!! Bolts were £8 and the fuel tank straps will cost me £10! The whole thing will be £28 for something you can't see!!!! Why bother! It might keep some crap out from the lower chassis and protect the tank from stones like Wrinx said. V6's don't come with a front protective guard as the engines are too heavy, so any extra weight would make the handling even worse that it is already with its sloooooooowwwwwww steering rack!! wink

G

·
My car has the rear undertray, so I polish it every Sunday !!!
One advantage of the tray I found when one of the fuel tank straps snapped at the last "Scottish Meet" is that it kinda helped keep the fuel tank off the deck until I got the straps replaced. They were about £5 each and I painted them with Hammerite so they hopefully wont rust and snap again. It took 2 hours to replace the straps 'cos all the bolts that hold the tray on (about a million of them) were seized.
It also would have been impossible to change the straps had the car not been on a lift. My mini mate actually squeezed himself inbetween the tray and underside of the car to remove a couple of bolts at the end of the straps (we gave up on removing the tray as the bolts were just turning and turning and turning.....).

Marlon

·
Registered
550 Posts
HI HENRY !
IS THE FUEL TANK GUARD N° 60603796 MAYBE ?
BECAUSE I WANT TO IMPORT ONE FRON ARGENTINA BUT I´M NOT SURE ABOUT THE SPARE NUMBER.
AND YOU SAY THAT IT IS NECESSARY TO ASK FOR THE BOLTS AND CLIPS ALSO ?
CHEERS

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the right number Jorge. Check your fueld tank straps first to see if they have angled brackets on them that it can bolt into. I only got mine because it was cheap!

G

·
i lost my rear undertray when i hit a large puddle at speed. It acted like a huge scope , and was ripped off, the rear bumper was also damaged.
I havent replaced the undertray yet, as i wasn't sure of the cost , bound to be expensive........it is an Alfa!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts