Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I had 4 new tyres fitted a while back and I checked them all today. The passenger side rear has used almost double the amount of thread as the fronts, evenly worn though. All bushes at the rear have been replaced aswell as the shocks and springs. The only thing I did notice is that the hub bushes pushed in alot easier than I expected. Could the actual hole the bush goes into have worn?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They must have had my locking wheel nut key too!! ;)

It's strange though, I can only think it's the hub bush assembly that's warn out. It's got powerflex bushes in the hubs, but I might swap back to standard ones to see if it's a better fit. It's either that or replace the hub assembly. :(

Cheers,

Mark

C

·
0 Posts
I would get a 4 wheel alignment done - replace any worn bushes if needed first though.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the tracking done front and rear at the same time as the tyres, which was the end of Nov. I changed the rear bushes and put powerflex ones in. The side that's worn seemed to have a slightly bigger hole for the bush as it pressed in alot easier. I wonder if it's possibly that the hole the bush goes in has worn slightly. The wear on the rear tyre is even all across the tyre too. It's very strange.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point. That's possible, I could have lost a weight. I wouldn't notice the vibration if it were on the rear either.

I'll give that a go and see what they're like.

Cheers,

Mark

C

·
0 Posts
I had the tracking done front and rear at the same time as the tyres, which was the end of Nov. I changed the rear bushes and put powerflex ones in.
Take it you had the alignment done after the powerflex bushes were fitted?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I fitted the bushes, then went back to the garage to get the tyres, tracking and MoT.

It still could be a bush/hub problem though. If it was badly tracked, it wouldn't be dead even wear would it though? The fronts are slightly more worn on the inside edge which I'd expect, but the rear passenger side is almost like it has been on the car several thousand miles more compared to the drivers side, but it hasn't.

Cheers,

Mark

B

·
0 Posts
When I replaced all 4 tyres on my 20v sportwagon the rears had much more wear than the fronts - I usually give the fronts more attention when checking for wear and assume that the rears won't be as bad. I did think this was a bit weird at the time but didn't suspect anything sinister as the wear was very even. For what its worth - as far as I know this is the first time this happened (40 - 55k approx), I get regular 4 wheel alignments and am an obsessive pressuer checker!

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,426 Posts
Whatever car I have, the passenger side rear tyre wears out quicker than the drivers side (although much more pronounced on rear wheel drive cars it still applies to front wheel drive cars). I have always put it down to the extra load put on that tyre when going round roundabouts quickly and the fact that you can accelarate harder at T junctions(and have to sometimes!) when going right than you can going left ( much sharper turn and only one lane of traffic to avoid!!!).
Also the left side of the road (passenger side) tend to always have more camber therefore putting more load on the inside edge of the tyre.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts