Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Take the plug off the rear light cluster and check the pins. You may well have corroded - pitted pin. A good scrape and electrical contact cleaner will help.
You may well have to clean the contacts in the plug too and bend them back so they make a better connection to the pin.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take the plug off the rear light cluster and check the pins. You may well have corroded - pitted pin. A good scrape and electrical contact cleaner will help.
You may well have to clean the contacts in the plug too and bend them back so they make a better connection to the pin.
Thanks ill give it a go.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had this issue also, for me the issue was with the connector of the rear lamps.
After many attempts of fiddling with the connector (which worked only for a while) I was fed up and I cut off the connector and soldered the wire directly to the bulb holder pins.
Never had the problem since then.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had this issue also, for me the issue was with the connector of the rear lamps.
After many attempts of fiddling with the connector (which worked only for a while) I was fed up and I cut off the connector and soldered the wire directly to the bulb holder pins.
Never had the problem since then.
Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but its working so ill leave mine alone. ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it :wink_org:

But if next time you have symptoms like brake signal warning, or dimmed rear lights then remember its most likely the rear bulb holder connector.
I only soldered the ones on both sides, not the ones in the boot lid (tail gate?)

Bending the pins to have better contact, or using contact cleaner only worked temporarily for me.
My car had all these symptoms, I also checked the RTN to chassis connections (suggested by the dealer) which are close to the rear wheel arches (on both side, behind interior panels) but these where all fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick post just to say I had exactly same symptoms as Francie on my 159 and exactly same solution did the trick for me too. I had fixed rear left indicator fault and it was working fine but dash still said to check it and inside 'clicking' was too fast even though outside flashing was steady. Tried several different bulbs, eventually searched online and found this thread (thanks!). Disconnected battery negative terminal for a few minutes, reconnected and all well: dash warning gone and indicator clicking steadily :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts