Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not, but here goes.

I'm going to be putting the rear calipers back together after painting them and I'm a bit confused about how to seat the pin boots. Because they are sealed at both ends, the air pressure (+ or -) makes them tend to slide back to the position that they are fitted in when you either push the pin in a bit or pull it out.

Does how compressed the boot starts out make any difference in the long run? If I push the pins all the way in before seating the boot then the caliper will tend to be pulled towards the outside edge of the disc. If I'm not mistaken that would mean that the piston-side could stay in contact with the inner edge of the disc after releasing the brakes. Equally having the boot all the way out could keep the piston-side pad away from the disc, but the outside (non-piston) pad could be in contact.

Is it just a question of putting them back in as neutral state as possible, or am I over-thinking this and I just need to get the sods back on!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This might be useful...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MA41pqREEE

For a Mondeo but it's the same unit (Apart from the hand brake routing)
Sorry I didn't see your post until today.

In the end I put the caliper mounts on in the evening, but didn't get round to finishing the job until the next day. Overnight the sliders had all moved into a central position, I'm assuming because the seals aren't 100% airtight, so I just rebuilt them in that position.

The really annoying thing is having to take it to a garage to get the ABS bled as I needed to replace the hard line to the front left hose and that let air in:censored:

It was nice, though, to be told by the garage that the new calipers I'd fitted looked good. I must have done a semi-decent paint job on them:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts