Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at installing an Eibach or Whiteline rear stabiliser bar on a 147 GTA. :)

The procedure looks straight forward enough. Are there any tricks to look out for?

I can see the bushes are uncapsulated in double D shackles, one pressed into the other. Are these easily separated by hand or is it necessary to use force with a chisel or press? Similarly, are they a hand push to close on refit? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that bit looks straight-forward. :thumbs:

I'm just not sure about separating the D shackles that contain the bushes. :confused:

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
The clamp halves are spot welded together, you need to carefully drill out the weld without damaging the threads of the clamps. The welds don't really do anything except hold the clamp together when its off the car. When its back on the car the bolts hold the two halves together.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
edit: hahaha Pud237 replied already

The brackets are pretty easy.

IIRC they are joined together by something like a big rivet where the mounting bolt goes through. So if you drill out the top wide part of the rivet then you can push it out and open the bracket.

When you refit them they will hold together with the mounting bolt.

The rear bar is very straight forward to remove assuming the drop links are not corroded too badly

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks kindly guys :thumbs: I would not have expected a spot weld so great tip.

So I take it the weld joins the two clamps around the inside edge of the bolt hole and can be separated by drilling through with a series of small holes. Not too difficult but needs a bit of care and patience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts