Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GT failed the MOT on front drop links and rear strut bearings/bushes. Advisory on the longitudinal trailing arms.
I have take the offside strut off but had a right job removing the strut/stub axle pinch bolts. I have knackered the nut and the threads drifting them out. I suspect the nearside (in the gutter) will be at least as bad.
There are two pinch bolts/side. I reckon I need new nuts to as the hammer kind of marmalised them :lol:
All told for both sides about £65 inc VAT from Alfa. Now I certainly need the offside set, and they will be replaced but wondered if there is anywhere else to try for the bolts/nuts first?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Too late to save the nuts/bolts you've already mullered, but you may be able to salvage the other side.

Two man job, one with a socket and breaker bar on the bolt head..... the other on the hammer. There's no need to leave a nut on the bolt as there's enough unthreaded bolt to whack.

After copious amounts of Plusgas, whack and turn. Got all 4 of mine out that way.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
13,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers PubS. I won't have the luxury of two people (no friends :lol:) and did spin, hammer, spin, hammer. Oh and a fair bit of spray lubricant stuff.

I have thought I might be able to 'clean' the thread with the right tap/die set. Probably cheaper as the bolts are £14 and £7 each. The nuts I'll have to buy at £7 each but the T&D set will be useful another day.

G

·
0 Posts
Have a search and see if you have a numarick( I think )nut and bolt shop nearby and give them a try they are really good for stuff like that and normally loads cheaper to :thumbs:

C

·
0 Posts
Jesus, they're how much now?!

Don't bother buy the nuts from alfa, they're just standard nylocks...

Wurth rost off is better than plus gas.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Take the munted nuts and bolts to your local engineering fastener supplier and see if they can help. The nuts will be easy and they'll probably give them to you. The bolts are quite long but you never know. If they can get them, they'll be like 2 quid each.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts