Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the twinnie subframe the same as a v6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure. It's got 3 part numbers on it so had a look on Eper but couldn't work it out. I have another off a phase 1 twinnie with the same numbers on so fits those too. Part numbers are on the top so you can't see without removing. Autolusso might know.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Danny that frame is knackered mate. The worn bushes have been grinding the alloy away. It can be repaired but should not be used as is.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's only rubbed slightly the deep recess is machined or cast in and meant to be there. I was going to get it blasted and fit it to mine but came to my senses as only an MOT tester would see it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no idea. Must be cast as it would be more difficult to machine it. As an engineer I would imagine it's there for a reason. The other side is exactly the same as is the phase 1 subframe I have.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a different part of the subframe, mine doesn't have the concentric grooves there either. As I said both sides and a phase 1 subframe are exactly the same. You can see where the springpan has rubbed on the outside of the groove.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm fairly certain mine does have the machined grooves shown ( and I know for certain the rear suspension has never got to the state of wearing the subframe on my car ).

Perhaps there was a manufacturing revision at some point?

EDIT : Just been through my photos and I don't have any pics that show that detail. I'd have to have a look at the car to confirm. Maybe I've got confused with other photos ...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's interesting Andy. Do you know what it came off and could you get the part numbers of the top. Both my subframes have them and there is no way in this world that wear could make beautifully concentric, to the millimetre, circles on both. You can see in the picture the mark left where the steel part of the bush is clamped just around the edge of the hole. Around the outside of the deep groove you can see where the springpan has rubbed.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
We really need to get to the bottom of this with certainty. It has long been assumed that the deep groove it's caused by wear. Owners in the past have posted pictures of the groove as the
reason they have changed the subframe. If they were there on all of them surely they would have said?
I sincerely hope it is supposed to be there mind as I have one in the shed that I thought needed repairing before building back up! Would be great to know I can use it as is.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I think you will find the spring pan has made the outer wear mark ( which is barely visible) and the major wear has come from the metal part of the Bush moving in the spring pan.

I can assure you that the rear sub frame should not have any wear on that part.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts