Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 2.4 2006
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I’ve read a lot of the posts & couldn’t find a definite answer. Can someone please confirm if they know the ‘rear’ subframes are the same for a 159 Saloon & Sportswagon.
Basically my rear subframe failed a mot due to rust. I can find several rear subframes from a saloon but I have a Sportswagon (159 2.4)
Many thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes theyre the same, in fact I'm refurbishing one at the minute taking it back to bare metal and repainting.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Mine will be have to done before the next MOT....was advised on the last one. Its far worse than the front .....which is unusual.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
My trailing arms were soft as cheese offside also had a large hole, the subframe on quick glance looked ok but looking closely where the lower arm bolts to it the metal was very thin and cracked.
I suspect the car had been parked in a river as front frame was also rotten and holed.
Good old Italians don’t believe in rust proofing that well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Couple of years back i had a factory tour at Maserati. I asked the (female) guide about the amount of rustproofing..... She had no idea.... But what concerns me even so is, that -despite extensive posts and pictures- so many owners still seem surprised to find their subframes desintegrated! Are so many owners sleeping??? Especially when driving in winter: clean those underpinnings frequently and protect your subframes!!

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
I have no front undertray so the front one is pretty much completely rust free....just the odd scuff from being so low but that's it!!...The rear is not to bad....just brown from having lost pretty much all its thin, unprimed paint. Rust converter and a coat of Eastwoods and it will all be good. No holes or thinning....yet!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts