Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some advice please from those of you with intimate knowledge of your sub frames.

I have a spare sub frame that I want to strip and refurbish with new parts as required. Once finished I will swap it over on my car.

Anyway, I've started removing everything and have noticed this

1384270397106.jpg 1384270421756.jpg

I am presuming this groove is damage. It's on one side of the dog leg mount, on both sides of the car.

If it is damage, it's not game over as I know a guy who is brilliant at alloy welding so I pretty confident he can repair it, I just want confirmation it shouldn't be there!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I've checked my photos and unfortunately I don't have one with the same level of detail.

How do the two sides compare?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The photos are of each side, ie, os and ns. It's only grooved on one of the two mounting points ie one flange is grooved on the os and one flange is grooved on the ns.

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks chaps, I thought as much.

It is deep but not all the way through so should be ok once welded :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure he will clean the metal to be welded to remove oxidation first. Standard practice whatever the weld surely?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Yes it is damage and No, It is not OK to leave it. The poly bushes will NOT make up for the weaknesses in the frame, This is Dangerous and bad advice.

See my project thread to find out why!

As the metal has not fractured, it is perfectly safe to fill the groove with Weld and file it flat. My new subframe appears to have been fixed in the same manner and as it is plain Aluminium and not an alloy you don't need to worry about the repair failing (assuming it is complely free from oxidation).

Yeah, but by the time you've removed all the corrosion there will be much less left of the original metal?
Aluminium only corrodes on the surface so the rest of the metal is all good and there will be more than enough good metal underneath.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it's worrying isn't it?

This car passed an mot a year ago. The old arm bushes didn't look too bad so I think this may have been damaged before and a new arm fitted with it like that :eek:

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
What is also worrying is that with Powerflex bushes fitted, you can't see the damage at all. You could be driving around in a ticking timebomb and all it would take is hitting a pothole to snap the lug. So if you own a GTV that wasn't powerflexed by you then I would recomend removing the arm and checking.

·
Vendor
46,241 Posts
What is also worrying is that with Powerflex bushes fitted, you can't see the damage at all. You could be driving around in a ticking timebomb and all it would take is hitting a pothole to snap the lug. So if you own a GTV that wasn't powerflexed by you then I would recomend removing the arm and checking.
With Powerflex bushes you won't get this wear in the first place, because the bush goes over the outer part of the arm preventing it from touching the ally subframe. The damage may be there from previous but should have been spotted during the fitment of powerflex bushes - we always check the subframes for this wear when we've got them stripped down.

You can see in the photo of the powerflexed dog legs here what I mean about the bush protecting the subframe from being rubbed by the steel dog legs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231094598082

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Yes it is damage and No, It is not OK to leave it. The poly bushes will NOT make up for the weaknesses in the frame, This is Dangerous and bad advice.

See my project thread to find out why!

As the metal has not fractured, it is perfectly safe to fill the groove with Weld and file it flat. My new subframe appears to have been fixed in the same manner and as it is plain Aluminium and not an alloy you don't need to worry about the repair failing (assuming it is complely free from oxidation).

Aluminium only corrodes on the surface so the rest of the metal is all good and there will be more than enough good metal underneath.

The point I was trying to make was once the sub frame is welded the poly bushes will make up for any weekness(if any) in the frame.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry guys, this is not pure aluminium, it is an alloy. Pure aluminum is very soft and not suitible for engineering components. It will be a cast alloy, which one I do not know, but I guess it will have silicon in it for cast ability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts