Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my girl a few prezzies to celebrate her return from the panel shop :biglaugh: Defs getting a front tower brace, probly the Wiechers steel one from Alfisti, but wondering if I should take full advantage of the shipping fee and get a rear one as well? It seems like the body shell would pretty much act as a brace for the rear ones anyway though - does anyone have any experience to say if it's a worthwhile upgrade? The rear Wiecher is pretty cheap anyway at 40 Euros but holes need to be drilled for it. Thanks for any advice :thumbup:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have a rear Orque strut. Made the car rotate better at the corners. Plus Eibach rear arb at tightest setting.

No regret

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a rear Orque strut. Made the car rotate better at the corners. Plus Eibach rear arb at tightest setting.

No regret
Kewl, have the rear ARB already. Googling Orque reveals literally nothing so I guess I'll use the Weicher as I'm already getting the front one from the same place anyway - a strut is a strut :thumbup:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, doesn't seem to be in the way of anything. Turns out the Weicher one is too long for the GTA, which is odd as I thought the inside of the GTA was the same as a standard 147.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Can you post a detailed picture of the mounting point? You did not have to drill holes, did you?
Sorry. Haven't logged in in a long time.

Yes, drilling is required. Nope no detailed pictures as its already all done and covered up.

In my next project, I might be able to take some pictures but that's some time away

·
Registered
854 Posts
Are you going to so it yourself?

Youve got to remove all the cladding first, and the plastic parts to access the the mounting points. Once you get there, it's just marking out the drill points for the strut.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Are you going to so it yourself?

Youve got to remove all the cladding first, and the plastic parts to access the the mounting points. Once you get there, it's just marking out the drill points for the strut.

Yes I will have a go, its just all the trim I have a problem with. Never liked trim work. Thanks for the reply.

Allan

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I personally think these rear braces are more for looks. The design of them is flawed considering how they are sold. It does little to change the flex due to the design i'm afraid.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I personally think these rear braces are more for looks. The design of them is flawed considering how they are sold. It does little to change the flex due to the design i'm afraid.
Might want to wait for Allan to share his experience.

I get more controlled rotation with the strut than not.

If we don't drive to that limit, then I'm inclined to agree with you, and if it doesn't work, then the extra bumpiness on top of a set of sports dampers should be proof enough that it does something on top of being eye candy.

Most of the GTA/GT chassis are closer to 10 years old at this time. I would like to think that it's still as rigid as it was when it left the factory, but there's metal fatigue over time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Might want to wait for Allan to share his experience.

I get more controlled rotation with the strut than not.

If we don't drive to that limit, then I'm inclined to agree with you, and if it doesn't work, then the extra bumpiness on top of a set of sports dampers should be proof enough that it does something on top of being eye candy.

Most of the GTA/GT chassis are closer to 10 years old at this time. I would like to think that it's still as rigid as it was when it left the factory, but there's metal fatigue over time.

I used to race a very quick Mazda RX2 or 3, too many cars ago to recall. The model with the coil spring rear end like to a Fiat 124, with full alloy cage, it had a very similar rear turret set up as on the GTA. On some tight turns the boot would open due to the twist in the body a problems we rectified by a single bar between the two turrets that removed the flex from the chassis/sub frame. Worth the chance on the GTA as any improvement without resorting to a full cage on our street/track car is cheap at $500. The money pit also has black poly bushes on the rear, blues up front, Konis all round, Eibach springs and coils. Its had loads spent on it Carbon fibre plenum, Ferrari 360 tb , flash, cold air intake etc. Were not racing for sheep stations, just having fun in the Italian car days against the Ferrari's, Lambos Mazas and other Alfa"s so if it helps all good if not always have ebay

Allan

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
I used to race a very quick Mazda RX2 or 3, too many cars ago to recall. The model with the coil spring rear end like to a Fiat 124, with full alloy cage, it had a very similar rear turret set up as on the GTA. On some tight turns the boot would open due to the twist in the body a problems we rectified by a single bar between the two turrets that removed the flex from the chassis/sub frame. Worth the chance on the GTA as any improvement without resorting to a full cage on our street/track car is cheap at $500. The money pit also has black poly bushes on the rear, blues up front, Konis all round, Eibach springs and coils. Its had loads spent on it Carbon fibre plenum, Ferrari 360 tb , flash, cold air intake etc. Were not racing for sheep stations, just having fun in the Italian car days against the Ferrari's, Lambos Mazas and other Alfa"s so if it helps all good if not always have ebay

Allan

I think from your experience with the Mazda indicates it will be more than cosmetic, so on that basis it's a worthwhile exercise. It might not give the stiffening of a full roll cage, but it will go some way towards it and won't be intrusive. Besides it's probably the only thing left to do, given the above list!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think from your experience with the Mazda indicates it will be more than cosmetic, so on that basis it's a worthwhile exercise. It might not give the stiffening of a full roll cage, but it will go some way towards it and won't be intrusive. Besides it's probably the only thing left to do, given the above list!
Thanks for that, will let you know when I get to try it on the track

Allan

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that, will let you know when I get to try it on the track

Allan
Hey Allan, when it arrives can you post some basic measurements up here. Length of the bar, and the bracket dimensions and maybe a closeup of one of the brackets? I reckon the local metal fab place down my street should be able to knock something that simple up for under $200 and I can just paint it black. Get a cheap brace and support my local businesses :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yes Allan, I'm looking forward to your experience.
I've got custom 3 -way adjustable shocks
Rear strut, rear adjustable lower arms, front strut, front camber bushes, chassis sub-frame rings front and rear, Eibach front and rear ARBs.

The idea is to not have stiff everything, but a stable platform so that we have fewer variables to work with such as the shocks or ARB adjustments. Bushings are yellow Super flex or something. Comfortable for daily drive, couple of tweaks and its a track Monster. The next on the list for me is custom front upper/lower arms for camber adjustments.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts