Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken out my old springs to replace with new ones and in doing so the bump stop and metal dome holder came out with them. The thing is that the bump stop is angled out towards the wheel arch but there doesn't appear to be any locater on the subframe to make sure the bump stop and holder go back on in the right position. Is this simply done by eye, or am I missing something?

As an aside, this is a job well worth doing as it's an opportunity to treat the pans with a liberal coating of Por 15 rust preventative paint and send them off to alfawokshop to have new bushes fitted! Top job by them.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The dome holder, aka suspension cup, fits firmly onto the subframe. There should be no lining up by eye, the subframe has the correct shape to accept the cup firmly. The bump stop fits into the suspension cup, but are prone to snapping off. TS bump stops seem to be hardier than the V6s.

BTW I've used other paint before - Hammerite etc, but, as you say, nothing beats POR 15.

·
Registered
125 Posts
As an aside, this is a job well worth doing as it's an opportunity to treat the pans with a liberal coating of Por 15 rust preventative paint and send them off to alfawokshop to have new bushes fitted! Top job by them.[/QUOTE]

How are you going to clean and paint the inside of the spring pans? It is difficult and messy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dome holder, aka suspension cup, fits firmly onto the subframe. There should be no lining up by eye, the subframe has the correct shape to accept the cup firmly. The bump stop fits into the suspension cup, but are prone to snapping off. TS bump stops seem to be hardier than the V6s.

BTW I've used other paint before - Hammerite etc, but, as you say, nothing beats POR 15.
Many thanks, managed to get them back in ok. Bit of a pig of a job getting the bushes lined up to the subframe and hub though! Discovered the best way is fit subframe end first then get the trolley jack under the hub end to lift it up into place. The problem is that the pan can twist and does not offer up straight to the hub. Took a few goes with jack in various positions to keep it straight. I realised that once you could see part of the bush through the holes in the hub I could pull the hub into to position by pushing a screwdriver through and levering the hub to line up with the holes.

Yep, POR 15 did the trick!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Ah well done!

Instead of a screwdriver I use an old bolt that I have shaped like a bullet (angle grinder). I put this in the wrong way which easily locates the hub/pan/leg correctly & then bang it back through with the proper bolt.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an aside, this is a job well worth doing as it's an opportunity to treat the pans with a liberal coating of Por 15 rust preventative paint and send them off to alfawokshop to have new bushes fitted! Top job by them.

How are you going to clean and paint the inside of the spring pans? It is difficult and messy.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I wasn't able to do much with the inside!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah well done!

Instead of a screwdriver I use an old bolt that I have shaped like a bullet (angle grinder). I put this in the wrong way which easily locates the hub/pan/leg correctly & then bang it back through with the proper bolt.
That's sounds like a good idea, I did hunt around the garage for something to knock through but all I had were some punches which were smaller than the hole so would not line it up completely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts