Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, a long time ago I noticed that the mounting of the right rear spring on my car is much lower than on the left (see photo). Sometimes, when driving through a speed bump, there is a bang from the right rear side, and I don't know if it's caused by this.It also seems to me that the right wheel is more sloping to the side than the left. Could it be a shock absorber or something else? I also noticed that on the right side there is a different rubber under the spring than on the left - or there is none.
1619979242143.jpg

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Measure the difference to make sure. There's an optical illusion at play here, the camera isn't equal distance from both spring pans, and on one side part of the suspension is blocked from view by the exhaust. both are helping the appearance of one side lower than the other.

The rubber seems to be missing, it's easy enough to fit a replacement.

If the camber is not the same on either side, the car needs an alignment, after checking if all the bushes in the rear suspension are still okay. A bad bushing can also cause knocks, but so can a bad or not tight droplink.

All 4 tyres need to be on equally high ground to measure correctly, if one front wheel sits a bit lower, the opposing rear wheel will also. So left front in a lower spot, means right rear extended aswell.

·
Registered
39,113 Posts
It looks to me as if the sping pan or one of it's mountings has failed.

·
Registered
39,113 Posts
New one required I think, and it is dangerous to drive like that.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
to me it looks normal, should be measured first. see how the left spring appears smaller diameter? the camera isn't equal distance from both springs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A trailing arm is one piece - it cannot be different from the other, only if it is broken. Or it can be a lower suspension arm - I'll take more photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
39,113 Posts
Unless the spring on left has broken and has made that trailing arm sit further up?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
can't as the spring pan height is fixed distance from the ground, the tyre would need to go flat to get it closer to the ground, or the wheel off the ground to get it further up. It moves up and down in a bit of an arc when loaded, but that's it.

Only thing I can think of is if one side has a qv trailing arm and the other a normal one, but I believe the only difference between the 2 is the brake caliper mounting

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took more photos. The left spring is much more compressed than the right - and it has dots on it, the right does not have them. Missing dots is probably not a mistake, or is the right spring completely different?
1620150777957.jpg
1620150799083.jpg
1620150799089.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's 2014 , I only have it for two years, and I only replaced those anti roll bar links recently. But I noticed this problem with springs a long time ago. Are both rear springs marked with dots (hardness) or is it only for models that have a sport packet?

·
Registered
39,113 Posts
Maybe you have one Lusso rear spring and one Veloce spring?

it looks to me that the one on the left has more coils but they are closer together.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
it's 2014 , I only have it for two years, and I only replaced those anti roll bar links recently. But I noticed this problem with springs a long time ago. Are both rear springs marked with dots (hardness) or is it only for models that have a sport packet?
I have a set of sportpack springs in the basement, I will check

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
the sportpack rear springs are both identical as I suspected, both have colour coding on them. blue yellow yellow is a sportpack spring

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the problem is that maybe someone has replaced the spring before. My Alfa 1.4 MA 2014 has a leather steering wheel, gear lever, side skirts - some type of sport pack for that year - but I don't have bigger discs and brembo brakes on the front. So I don't know if I have lowered springs compared to the original version. But when I look at the front springs, there are those dots. But if you say that blue yellow yellow are sport springs, then I probably have them. Are the same marks blue yellow yellow on the front springs yes?

·
Registered
39,113 Posts
Someone has probably suffered a broken spring, and replaced only one. With the wrong type.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
the problem is that maybe someone has replaced the spring before. My Alfa 1.4 MA 2014 has a leather steering wheel, gear lever, side skirts - some type of sport pack for that year - but I don't have bigger discs and brembo brakes on the front. So I don't know if I have lowered springs compared to the original version. But when I look at the front springs, there are those dots. But if you say that blue yellow yellow are sport springs, then I probably have them. Are the same marks blue yellow yellow on the front springs yes?
Depending on the engine, the front springs don't change with the sportpack. But the dampers are always different and those have part numbers you can google

1 - 19 of 19 Posts