Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 1.6 120 mito lusso in bright red, 2009 reg with 79k miles.

First question:

There is no rear spoiler on the car, and I like the look of the ones that do (some lussos and all veloces have it). I'm guessing as it is an earlier one... it didn't come with it? If I were to buy one and paint it, how does it attach to the car? Simply adhesives?

Second question:

The plastics on the car (front bumper, rear bumper and side mirrors) are noticeable faded (gone pinky) in comparison to the rest of the car. It's only obvious in certain lights and close up. I have tried a far bit of polish on it but I was wondering if there was a better alternative that others have found? Or even if its covered under the alfa body work warranty?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Buy some different mirror caps, chrome or the same colour as the light surrounds! Not sure about the bumpers other than a respray. I have a novitec spoiler on my mito now from alfisti.net, looks mint and just sticks on!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response!

I was considering plastidiping the mirror covers (as I have to the light surrounds). Do you possibly know how to remove the covers?

That spoiler sounds good, I will look into it.

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
344 Posts
The paint will have a clearcoat - so that's what you'll be polishing, which won't change the colour (and you don't want to polish hard enough to go through the clearcoat as the base coat will be very thin and isn't at all durable).

I thought modern clearcoated reds were generally pretty fade-resistant, and it seems a bit odd that e.g. the bonnet isn't also affected. Are you sure the bumpers/mirrors haven't just been resprayed at some point in the past to get rid of chips/scuffs and maybe the colour match wasn't quite right?

When I was hunting for a second hand Mito last year I went to see a red one that had a really poor respray on the front bumper - colour match was awful and the surface finish was pretty rubbish too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may indeed be right about the respray, however there is nothing in its history about it (its a very good history record) and it would be strange for them to do the rear as well as that does not get stone chips!

I may take it along to a professional detailer and see what they think about it. As I know they have lasers that can measure the paint layer to see how much the have to work with... may be the safer option.

Very happy with the car though, you get a lot of car for the money!

Thank you for your help,

Jamie

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 1.6 120 mito lusso in bright red, 2009 reg with 79k miles.

First question:

There is no rear spoiler on the car, and I like the look of the ones that do (some lussos and all veloces have it). I'm guessing as it is an earlier one... it didn't come with it? If I were to buy one and paint it, how does it attach to the car? Simply adhesives?

Second question:

The plastics on the car (front bumper, rear bumper and side mirrors) are noticeable faded (gone pinky) in comparison to the rest of the car. It's only obvious in certain lights and close up. I have tried a far bit of polish on it but I was wondering if there was a better alternative that others have found? Or even if its covered under the alfa body work warranty?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie
Alfa red paintwork fading to pink ?

'don't worry sir ....... they all do that !

·
Registered
296 Posts
On the white Mito's bumper get darker than the rest of the car. I was sure mine has had a respray, but the same can be found on lots of cars. Not a lot of help in that...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much, very useful.

On the white Mito's bumper get darker than the rest of the car. I was sure mine has had a respray, but the same can be found on lots of cars. Not a lot of help in that...
I just find it very odd that it is only the plastics of the car. The rest of the paintwork is fine (apart from the stone chips on the bonnet and arches). Maybe because plastic adsorbs heat more therefore it is burning the paint easier? However I never that that problem with any of the other cars I have owned.

·
Registered
247 Posts

The OP says he has bright red paint. That would be Giulietta red, not Alfa red. His pictures also look G red to me. G red was discontinued after a couple of years iirc. Not saying A red is perfect but mine has been no worse than any previous car over 40 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts