Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all anyone fitted any custom fit speakers to the rear shelf! im thinking about buying some custom fit ones that will fit straight in to the existing space. I had a quick look & it seems that they will have to be fitted from the boot, any tip on what to look out for!.
thanks in advance. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Philip
I've been thinking about changing the speakers too. You are right to say the speakers are removed from the boot. You just pull the "carpet" down from the underside of the parcel shelf. The speakers are actually attached to the grills by 4 screws. Two of which are hard to get to because of metalwork. It is easier to remove the 4 screws holding the grill down (access to these from inside the boot) and then push the speaker and grill upward into the car. Then you can remove the speaker from the the grill. When putting it all back together, one or two of the screws holding the grill down are a bit awkward to put back in. Use a magnetic screwdriver (or make one by rubbing the screwdriver with the magnet from your old speaker !!!). Didn't measure the speaker when it was out, but they're quite big.
Beware if you get speakers with raised tweeters etc. as these may not fit inderneath the grill.

Hope this helps

Marlon

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hi chaps when i changed my speakers i took the back seats out as this is only 4 allen key bolts ,the seats then move away to reveal the rear shelf unit can easily be removed for easy access to all screws and it beats hanging upside down half out your boot.It is only held in by a couple of plastic caps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about speakers to replace the original ones?Anything there will fit in the original holes,and with improved sound.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
715 Posts
If anyone makes a mess, I've got a spare parcel shelf (with blinds) that you could use!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fitted RF, components to my rear shelf, the main drivers fit in the holes that were originally there, and the tweeters are recessed near the rear screen. Looks very neat.
If you are going to be at N.A.D. you'll be able to see them.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys..
Speakers that fits would be 15 cm.. or 6".
A very good alternativ is the Alpine lineup. Right now Alpine has a 2 componet speaker set on sale(in Denmark). It fits perfectly in the rear.
Use it without the high frq. unit, as a small subwoofer(use a simple crossover, a spool to filter out the mid- and high frq. haven't got the size in mH, for the spol, of the top of my head) combined with a quality 2-way unit in the front. Again Alpine has the stuff 10cm or 4".
This makes very good sound in the front of the car, but obviosly not that good in the rear..
Naturaly you have to have a desent headunit or better an amplifier..

Morten

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a bit dubious about that 15cm figure. I found that a lot of the Japanese stuff - Sony etc - wouldn't fit straight in. I ended up with VDOdayton QM1720s. The tweeter bits protrude slighty (about 5mm). The measurement from screw to screw is 155mm (now there's a coincidence) and 168mm in total. And I agree that lying upside down half out the boot while fitting them is not a pleasant experience.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's why the boot in the 155 is so big..........you can hijack people and lob them in no problem (remember it's an Italian Car) :D

Marlon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts