Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I noticed a black spot under the rear silencer. I think it needs to be replaced, because condensed water flows out of the edge. My question is, why is it black, and what can be the problem?

G, 1.4 TB 170cv 2014

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
That looks like soot. The box looks in reasonable condition but is there a leak somewhere out of view of the camera? My 2011 MA is on 97k miles and still on the original exhaust system. However most of my mileage is reasonably long distances so everything gets properly hot and therefore dried out. Given the burning of petrol produces water you will always get condensate in the system until it get warm. Any condensate will run to the lowest point and if the seam is not fully watertight (which it does not need to be for the silencer to function) then it will escape at that point.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's just soot mixed with condensation.

It just means the exhaust is on its way out, it could be coming from the joint where the pipe enters the box, or it could be creeping around the seam. I wouldn't worry too much unless it starts making a noticeable blow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It’s a jsut a drain hole for the muffler - perfectly normal. Without it water builds up and rots the muffler.

Crawl under and have a close look, you’ll find a neat little hole that’s been there all along ;)

It’s soot mixed with condensation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts