Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to change the rear shocks on my 155 this weekend. Is it straight forward or is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pretty straight forward.
Watch when you remove the top bolt of the shocks. You get access from inside the wheel arch and the access point may be covered by a rubber gromet. Some cars have a sleeve (you'll see what I mean when you do it) inside the access point to stop you dropping the bolt never to be retreaved again. This is a tricky bit if your car doesn't have the protective sleeve/tubes fitted. The rest is pretty self explanatory.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Things to watch out for hhmmmmm!!!!!
Don't do it on the side of the road as you might get run over.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh yes, been there and sort of did that. Got the old shocks off and the new ones on in record time without dropping any top bolts and right at the very end, final tighten, pulled the rachet out too quickly, the socket hanked on the inside of the box section, popped off the end of the extension bar and rattled down into the chassis. :(

About an hour with a magnet taped to the end of a length of wire and I did eventually get the little sod back out.

As Marlon says, pretty straightforward, just be careful and take your time with those top bolts.

Cheers

Hugh.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Buy a deep reach socket (13mm? can't remember...?) and use some putty. This way the sides of the bolt will stick to the socket when you withdraw it. It also helps if you use a fairly blunt large phillips screwdriver from the inside to keep it pressed into the socket, when withdrawing the bolt.
There are two sockets and a bolt still rattling around the chassis rail on my 155.
Have a look for signs of cracking around the captive nut on the inside flange..mine had sheered off completely!

Cheers

D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, maybe that is what the occasional metal clinking sound I get from the back of the car is, the last owner probably dropped stuff into the chassis. I've been looking for loose exhaust shields etc and can't find anything.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks lads for all the advice - much appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh...one final thing....unbolt the shock at the bottom before you do the top...that way its less likely that the shock will be pulling down on the bolt when you withdraw it. Making it less likely that the bolt will come out of the socket and fall into the box section of the chassis...

D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was lucky... mine had a plastic tunnel for me to pull the bolt through.. couldn't drop things if i tried :D

J

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
marlon said:
Actually, maybe that is what the occasional metal clinking sound I get from the back of the car is, the last owner probably dropped stuff into the chassis. I've been looking for loose exhaust shields etc and can't find anything.
That`ll be one of your rear axle bearings thats collapsed mate mine was doing the same thing til i changed the bearings on the swinging arm....................Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought it might be that actually. The camber on my back wheels looks OK though. I've "cured" it anyway by reducing the rear tyre pressures.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
speed freak said:
That`ll be one of your rear axle bearings thats collapsed mate mine was doing the same thing til i changed the bearings on the swinging arm....................Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(
This wouldn't cause a metal grinding kind of noise at low revs - would it? Mine is doing that but I suspect it's the exhaust - possible one of the mounting is gone. I was going to have a look when I changed the shocks.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine went a while ago, at its worst there was a horrible grinding/squeaking noise (especially over speedbumps) and the car lurched round corners. You should be able to see any damage, look in the rear wheel arch in front of the tyre.

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've looked there before and nothing seems unusually gubbed anyway. My car isn't lurching since I changed the suspension. Maybe the harder suspension is just waking up some more rattles :(
Tyre wear is even too.....You guys might be able to tell better than me when you see the car on saturday.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Easiest way to tell is to stick your hand across the top of the tyre and see how much gap there is between the wheel and the inner arch ..............

..........When mine went you could get your finger in between on one side quite loosely and hardly get it in at all on the other side :rolleyes:

Btw mine did`nt lurch round corners either it actually held the road better with them knackered prob due to the slight negative camber the wheels had

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Marlon, to check rear arm bearings, I find the best way is to grab the wheel at 4 and 8 positions and pull upwards and outwards sharply. It goes without saying that the rear of the car must be well supported off the ground to avoid squashed hands. :eek:
Speedy, try that next time you check a Fiat or Alfa, and let me know what you think about that way. :) (not trying to tell you your job or anything- I just find it works well)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Ally you could do that with one side but the other had no movement when rocked even though the bearing when i removed it only had 2 rollers and about 1/4 of the race left :eek: :eek:

I was just pointing out a quick way to check to give some indication as to whether the y were going or not

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers guys. They may well be gubbed but I can't be bothered fixing them....yet......

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No matter how careful you are... the bolt dropped into the subframe. Fortunately, with the help of a shattered speaker magnet, a thick copper wire and some cellotape, I managed to get the bolt out.

While I was fishing for the bolt, inspiration came to me and to stop the bolt from dissappearing again, I made a tube out of thin cardboard (cornflake box) and used it as a guide for the bolt - no more dissappearing bolts. Hope this help to anyone else thinking of changing their rear shocks.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
While I was fishing for the bolt, inspiration came to me and to stop the bolt from dissappearing again, I made a tube out of thin cardboard (cornflake box) and used it as a guide for the bolt - no more dissappearing bolts. Hope this help to anyone else thinking of changing their rear shocks.
Award yourself a Blue Peter badge young man!

P.S. Here's one that someone else (who can hold a pair of scissors properly) made earlier...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts