Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am in the process of trying to change the rear shock absorber. I am trying to undo the top mount, I can get a socket on it but the whole thing is turning and wont loosen.

Is there a special too to enable the nut to be undone and an allen key inserted through the middle to stop the shaft from turning?

If anyone has any experience of this I would be grateful.

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi
You will need to hold the top of the strut still by inserting the appropriate Allen Key whilst you unlock the nut

HTH

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
You will need to hold the top of the strut still by inserting the appropriate Allen Key whilst you unlock the nut

HTH
I realise this but I cant get a spanner on it, the socket will fit but there is no way of inserting an allen key to hold the shaft at the same time.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
If you have any sockets with flats on them, then stick a spanner on the socket and the allen key can then hold the piston while you undo it.
Another way is a box spanner using a similar method, or lastly a cranked 22mm ring spanner and allen key.

There probably is a proper tool but I have used all of the above and they work as the nut isn't that tight, and (shouldn't') be corroded as it's inside the car..

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts