Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a new rear screen from Alfaretro to replace my cracked screen and what a job... Starting to wish I'd payed the 500 odd for a genuine screen from Alfa. The quality is far from brilliant, no holes in the bottom, no holes in either corner just a bit of flappy material which is no use at all and the zip is the wrong way round so I've had to cut it to bits to make it fit.

Looks even worse than with gaffa tape on the back now!

Surely I'm not the only person to suffer this?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I also got a screen from Alfaretro. Luckily my zip was the correct orientation. I agree that the plastic basal strip isn't as good as the original but I got a leather hole punch and made the holes in the correct places. Don't try and drill or cut holes or it will shred the plastic. It was a bit of a struggle but looks good now done.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
My original had two screws, (one on each corner) on the top edge of the rail so I punched the holes in the appropriate places and got my wife to pull one side as taught as she could while I had the other corner and got them to line up. It looked like the panel I removed was the original as it had an Alfa/Fiat code number on a white stitched-in label so I just did the same with the corners as the panel that I took off. When I say top edge of the rail I mean the top edge of the basal rail, i.e. where the main retaining screws are.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Apparently Alfa, in their infinite wisdom, had hoods with the zips not all the same way, so we can't blame the pattern suppliers......this time.

I had a new rear window section that the zip's teeth were bigger and the wrong way round! I had a trimmer fit the half of zip from an old broken window section so it would fit 'easily'. He then sewed a new perspex panel in the one that I was replacing and I now have a genuine one as spare.

Clive

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I knew that sooner Andy :(

For the zip I had too cut the end stop off and remove the actual zip and spin it round. Just need to get some washers for round 2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts