Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my rear pads and including jacking changed both sides in in under 30mins, wish all jobs were that easy

You will need a caliper rewind tool to get the piston back

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Satisfying when a plan comes together :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
wow that good going, did u clean up the places where the pads sit and copper slip them too in that time? keeps them from draggin on the disk and squeeling

Gary

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
With the rewind tool it makes it a very simple job.
It baffles me why some people still do the job without...!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow that good going, did u clean up the places where the pads sit and copper slip them too in that time? keeps them from draggin on the disk and squeeling

Gary
That was the reason for changing them, previous pad change had used far too much grease which had gone hard in the stainless steel shims/holder causing pads to stick on

A little brake cleaner and all wiped clean

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That was the reason for changing them, previous pad change had used far too much grease which had gone hard in the stainless steel shims/holder causing pads to stick on

A little brake cleaner and all wiped clean
copper slip isnt grease !

grease is wrong, as is not cleaning up the edge of pads and places where pads sit and giving a coat of copper slip to keep things sliding nicely

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
copper slip isnt grease !

grease is wrong, as is not cleaning up the edge of pads and places where pads sit and giving a coat of copper slip to keep things sliding nicely
Sorry it was the wrong word I obviously used copper grease, LHM would have been a bad move

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
:) seen people use grease mate......it congeals an collect dirt and pads cannot move

ill be having all pads out after winter n give everything a good clean.....all the salty water dont do em any good

nice way to spend a couple of hours :)

gary

·
Registered
149 Posts
Brakes stop and read

Just changed my rear pads and including jacking changed both sides in in under 30mins, wish all jobs were that easy

You will need a caliper rewind tool to get the piston back
This is how , this is where , this is it
https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156brakesrear/
and of course : https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156brakesfront/

the rewind tool is sold at alfistinet : Alfa Romeo Ersatzteile - Italia Ricambi - Bremskolben-Rckstellwerkzeug (manuell) WES6188346/6188338
notice the ekstra adapter sold separately!!!!!!!!!!! (the one they sold me diden´t fit :cry: )

William Lütken

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i got a call off a mate of mine ...he said renew rear pads and he cant get pistons back ..tried hammering wedges in :eek::wow: told him to wind pistons in:cheese: his 1hr job took 4 hrs ..i wonder why:cheese:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
i got a call off a mate of mine ...he said renew rear pads and he cant get pistons back ..tried hammering wedges in :eek::wow: told him to wind pistons in:cheese: his 1hr job took 4 hrs ..i wonder why:cheese:
he he

bet he dont make that mistake again

wedges is a different way of doing it......i have a thick wide steel bar what i use on fronts, slide it in and twist with a set of movers, never fails :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Poor guy.:cry:

A waterpump plier is a very powerfull tool combined with a clamp a socket and a watch ( clockwise anticlockwise:) )

https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156brakesrear/

foto 156.24
William Lütken

·
Banned
857 Posts
Quick question. I am about to do this job myself (rear brakes almost play musical notes when I am reversing down my drive - which is a 1 in 3 slope ).

Do both pistons rewind in the same direction and if so is it clockwise or anticlockwise? The reason I ask is that my last car (Jag X-Type) the driver's side wound clockwise and the passenger's side went anti-clockwise.

Oh, and that link above - that's hellishly expensive for what is a fairly standard tool. Bit of wallet raping going on there IMO.

Other forum people speak well of this little device.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Quick question. I am about to do this job myself (rear brakes almost play musical notes when I am reversing down my drive - which is a 1 in 3 slope ).

Do both pistons rewind in the same direction and if so is it clockwise or anticlockwise? The reason I ask is that my last car (Jag X-Type) the driver's side wound clockwise and the passenger's side went anti-clockwise.

Oh, and that link above - that's hellishly expensive for what is a fairly standard tool. Bit of wallet raping going on there IMO.

Other forum people speak well of this little device.
both clockwise

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
As for the Laser 1314 rewind tool, you'll find it for around £15 if you look.

K

·
0 Posts
I do it without because the first time I did it (on a Sierra I think) I didn't know I needed one. I rang my uncle because I was struggling and he said I could either drive over there and get his rewind tool or use a pair of long nosed pliers. As the car was in bits I wasn't driving anywhere so I used the pliers. I've never found it a struggle so never bothered with buying the tool.

I drive like an old man so I've never put more than 1 pair of pads in any car I've owned so I've never really felt that I do it often enough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts