Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New neighbours moved in this week.

Before I had a chance to meet Mr Neighbour, his rental van met the back of my spidie....

I have (from searching the forum) contacts for a breaker in London and another in Surrey, but with all your ears to the grapevine, does anyone know of anyone else with a rear left wing for my 98 spider?

J

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Sorry to hear TG but the rear quarter on the GTV/Spider is tripple skinned and therefore very expensive to repair with the result they are generally written off with such damage.:(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is all SO annoying. Its a small but angry wound. Shall post a photo when hubby gets back with the camera.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Depending on the level of damage, there is a technique that may work in this situation where access from behind is almost impossible.

The repair method utilises bits of plastic temporarily glued to the body which will then allow a dent puller to be used.

Like this : pdrplus Paintless Dent Removal - YouTube

For more extensive damge there's another system where rods are welded to the metal to do the same thing. That type of repair obviously requires paint and some filler as well!

I'm not sure if this can work if there is heavy creasing to the panel.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If it's just a dink in the wing any good body shop should be able to sort it out.. the size of the dink is almost irrelevant so long as it's confined to the wing.. as above.. will require paint and filler. negotiate with your insurance company..

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is a way of pulling that dent out. If anyone watched wheeler dealers they had a similar type of dent on a ferrari 308 gt4. They used what looks like several keys that are welded to the dent and then a special tool is attached and the dent pulled out, i doubt if a dent magician would do a repair like this but it would be worth enquiring just in case, good luck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
There is a way of pulling that dent out. If anyone watched wheeler dealers they had a similar type of dent on a ferrari 308 gt4. They used what looks like several keys that are welded to the dent and then a special tool is attached and the dent pulled out, i doubt if a dent magician would do a repair like this but it would be worth enquiring just in case, good luck.
I saw that same programme, they use several keys (don't think they were welded to the dent, more attached to the frame at weighted intervals, but I may well be wrong) and a machine to manipulate the bodywork to get the dent out, it was fairly complicated, and definitely not a cheap job. The results were amazing.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Ouch...that's quite nasty!!

A PDR guy couldn't do anything with that I'm afraid. They can only repair dent's where the paint hasn't been broken. I did a bit of PDR / smart repairs in the past but am by no means an expert

A decent bodyshop could sort it out for you no probs though.

Not only will the dent need to be pulled out but it will need to be resprayed and blended in to the rest of the car.

Prices vary by region but I'd imagine somewhere in the region of £400 or there abouts, I'm sure somebody who knows a bit better will advise you soon enough though.

I hope you will be getting the van driver to pay!?!?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The dent is the easiest part, feathering the paint through will be the hardest, If the paintshop is any good, they'll spray a lot more to blend it out, No mixture is the same unfortunately, The way I used to do it was to drill 10mm holes and slide through titanium hooks which were then secured to a hydraulic puller, it saved less filler and plus the cure quality would be better etc!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I'd just cut the streched metal out and tig weld in a new section.. skim of filler.. and then go find a paint man..

as Dave says.. it's the paint that's the hardest bit and most costly..

I don't think it's enough to write off the car.. talk to the insurance company.. in the past I've managed to get a cash settlement and then sorted it myself..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I won't be attempting any repair on this (that would be a laugh!!) - it'll be the local bodyshop - all payable by the neighbour.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Have a dent in the same place on mine but half the size, the insurance co costed the repair at £800 and wrote the car off. As mentioned, the dent is the easy bit, it's the paint job where the cost mounts as they'll have to repaint the whole wing up to the door.

I bought the car back for £50 and the dent is on my to do list.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts