Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to change them to LED's for a long time to match the LED brake and rear lights, but never got round to it until i started to try things out recently. I got some canbus error free 18 LED bulbs, but the canbus doesnt work, as with most of the Mito bulbs anyway, but the 18 LED ones werent bright enough. I then tried some 42 LED's, but although getting there, they still weren't as bright as standard, so i found these and these are the bomb!

382 Ultimate Canbus 92 SMD LED Bulb White amber

92 LED's! They look so good and are so bright, infact you won't want to look at them for too long up close, otherwise you'll be seeing amber when you blink. The canbus doesn't work again, but all you have to do, is tap in some 50w 6ohm resistors:

50W WATT LOAD RESISTOR SOLVE LED SIDELIGHT INDICATOR HID FLICKER

Probably took me 30mins max to have the trim unscrewed, bulbs out, LED bulbs in, resistors tapped in and thats in freezing conditions with numb hands! The diagram in the link shows how the resistors fit and all you need is some pliers to squeeze the metal clip through each wire.

I got some amber LED's for the side turnsignals also, but although the bulbs work, they're too long so don't fit back into the housing, so i'm going to have a good look and purchase some different ones.

Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmNrDoyjSjU&context=C3730284ADOEgsToPDskJG_OmE-SrfIDNq61LXhgf7

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add: I think it's going to be impossible to upgrade the front turn signals to LED, since the bulb is attached to a whole unit and is unremovable from looking at it. There's no space for resistors anyway even if we could get the bulb out, so they just maybe the only bulbs in my Mito soon that aren't LED. :(

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try my best at some point, but now i've got everything working great, i don't really want to touch anything. I'll perhaps try at the weekend for ya. :)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the camera struggles to pick them up. I'll do a comparison video at some point and maybe shoot it in the day. Really chuffed with them though. :)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some LED side turn signal bulbs today, but they are really orange and really don't match with the other indicators, so I might just leave the standard bulbs since they look fine anyway.
I'll try and do a comparison video tomorrow for the rear turn signals. :)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I promised a comparison video ages ago now and here it finally is. Just changed the rear bulbs back to stock since part exchanging the car tomorrow. You can see the difference in the video, but its so much more evident in real life. Definitely gonna fit these to my QV!

Alfa Romeo MiTo rear LED turn signal! - YouTube

·
Registered
209 Posts
That really does look brilliant! and the response is quicker!
one thing i would like to ask is how do you remove the rear light? do you have to take the bumper off? and ther resistor link doesn't seem to work just so you know but i might be buying those LED's soon!!!
cheers for the video also!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That really does look brilliant! and the response is quicker!
one thing i would like to ask is how do you remove the rear light? do you have to take the bumper off? and ther resistor link doesn't seem to work just so you know but i might be buying those LED's soon!!!
cheers for the video also!
Nope, so much easier than that. Open the boot and you'll see on each sidewall they'll be a screw. Unscrew them, loosing the trim and then pull back the fabric. This will give you access to the bulbs. Simple anti clockwise turn and unscrew the bulbs. You'll need to fit each resistor wire to each socket wire. Quite simple really, just make sure the resistor is securely connected to each wire otherwise as your indicating, you'll have a bulb out message come up, but the indicator will still be working, so don't worry too much if this happens. :)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I fitted the amber version. Works great.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just realised i need to go back to school and relearn maths. At £39.99 a pair they are considerable more expensive then the ones mentioned here. But when you add in p&p and the cost of the resistors maybe they come out about the same.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good job. I haven't fitted them to my QV yet, so I'll be doing that tomorrow. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts