Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if all Giulias share the same rear lamp design?
I'm looking for one to replace the cracked one on my Veloce and all the used ones coming up are, unsurprisingly, from QVs.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
3,848 Posts
I think they are the same.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. The question I am asking myself now is, do I risk this salvaged one for £110, where the "MAJORITY of marks will rub out,"

or do I bite the bullet and buy a new one for £240?

The next question is, how do the Chinese puzzle type fastenings work. If you know I'm sure it's simple, if, like me you don't, then catastrophe beckons.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know who supplies AR with their lamp units? Shop4parts are selling rear lamp clusters made by Magneti Marelli, could these be OE parts but just lacking the AR logo?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: metalgod23 and cue2

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Hi GVBlue, I have no connection with shop4parts other than being a very long term satisfied customer of theirs, if you can't find what you need on their website, send them an email and they can get you anything you will need and it's always cheaper that the dealers! Don't forget to apply the club discount as well? direct email is [email protected]

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Isotope, lamp cluster already ordered from S4Parts.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I can't help with the chinese puzzle cos I've not been there myself yet, put up a picture and I'm sure someone will have done it before you, a bit like google, if you can think it someone else has probably beaten you to it before, or is it just me?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia 2.2JTD
12 Posts
I re-fitted a rear light unit (nearside) recently and it was fairly straight forward. You need to remove the fasteners for the boot trim on the side that you need to get access too and then pull the trim out of the way. I disconnected one end of the large spring that’s connected to the boot lid to gain better access (but be mindful of the boot lid closing easily by itself!!). There’s a thumb wheel holding the light in that needs to be unscrewed and taken off, and then there are a couple of clips holding the light in place. The light should pop out with the thumb wheel removed, but be careful to make sure that you (or another pair of hands) are there to catch the light unit.

I’m sure that I Googled the light unit removal and it came up with official Alfa documentation with the above instructions in pictures.

Be prepared to get a few small cuts and scratches when you do it as there are quite a few sharp edges in there!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I re-fitted a rear light unit (nearside) recently and it was fairly straight forward. You need to remove the fasteners for the boot trim on the side that you need to get access too and then pull the trim out of the way. I disconnected one end of the large spring that’s connected to the boot lid to gain better access (but be mindful of the boot lid closing easily by itself!!). There’s a thumb wheel holding the light in that needs to be unscrewed and taken off, and then there are a couple of clips holding the light in place. The light should pop out with the thumb wheel removed, but be careful to make sure that you (or another pair of hands) are there to catch the light unit.

I’m sure that I Googled the light unit removal and it came up with official Alfa documentation with the above instructions in pictures.

Be prepared to get a few small cuts and scratches when you do it as there are quite a few sharp edges in there!
Thanks Nigel, when the new lamp cluster arrives it should shed a little light :) on the situation.
The large white thumb-wheel, or whatever it is, looked a little mysterious and there is always the fear of forcing something and breaking it.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia 2.2JTD
12 Posts
It just unscrews all the way off in the normal manner. I’m sure that when you get the new unit you’ll see better how it fits. I found the worst part was getting the boot trim out of the way.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It just unscrews all the way off in the normal manner. I’m sure that when you get the new unit you’ll see better how it fits. I found the worst part was getting the boot trim out of the way.
Thanks again. Mine is the battery side so access is straightforward.

Reactions: Nigel207

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lamp cluster ordered from S4P on Sunday afternoon. Delivered this lunchtime (Tuesday) and fitted and working within thirty minutes of delivery. Fitting was very straightforward and literally took ten minutes, a bit unusual for today's cars.

The new unit was packaged so well that even white van man made no impact on it whatsoever and superficially it looks identical to the original unit.

The only strange thing was that two areas where, on the broken one, the AR logo and Alfa script appear, on the new one, whatever was there before had been scratched out with a soldering iron or similar.

Great service from S4P and the price was not too silly.

Reactions: Nigel207 and cue2
1 - 18 of 18 Posts