Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need new shoes on all four corners. Too be honest I cant wait to get rid off this rubbish linlong no one ever heard of tyres!

Decided to go for Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta all around. 225/45/17

But before I change them have noticed my rear tyres (both) have worn more on the inner edges! By quite abit. Is there anything I should do before changing to fresh tyres??????

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Get a 4 wheel alignment done at the same time. I think the V6 will probably naturally wear a little more on the inner edges because of the weight of the engine (I'm probably wrong though).

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Are you getting a special deal for buying 4? or try and get the alignment done as a favour. Tell them it could lead to other Alfa owners using them if the deal is good. Never know if you dont ask, got a set for myself a few years ago with £80 discount which I wouldn't have got if hadn't been "cheeky"........:)

·
Registered
916 Posts
LingLong? Budget tyres; get what you pay for! Have the rear tyres ever been on the front? Uneven tyre wear is a bit of a GTV feature, but the most common causes are front tracking/worn wishbones and TYRE PRESSURES. Whatever you do, they will still wear the inside edges slightly faster. Worth getting the alignment checked when you get the new tyres I would have thought.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just a laser alignment check should be ok. The suspension has been checked out a couple of time by Pete at Cloverleaf Gloucester but he says its all fine. It has been lowered previously on Eibachs and polyflexed too.

So a change of tyre and check.

No Idea if rears have ever been on the front, only had the car for 3 months. Pressures were low on the car 32 all around when I bought it.

Uneven tyre wear is a trait of the GTV is it, and I suppose by it being lowered on the Eibachs the problem would be pronounced?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The toe is incorrectly set, ie the angle the wheels run compared to straight ahead.

Toe in = angle of wheel pointing inward, if you had a two long straight edges and flat held it against opposite wheels, they'd meet in front of the car somewhere, eventually, depending on how much toe in you have set.

Toe out = angle of wheel pointing outwards, again, two straight edges and they'd move out away from each other.
If you have excessive wear in the inside edge of the tyres, the toe out is to much, wera on the outside, to little.
The wear with look "feathered" on the tread.

FWD cars generally run toe in at the rear and toe out at the front.

Have it aligned before you drive off on your new tyres, get them to fit the tyres then align it, ask them to check if there's any play in the ball joints and/or bushes, this could contribute to the problem, they'll be able to get a bar in there and pull on the parts better than you can with it on a jack.

You'll probably, at best slow the uneven wear down, as it doesn't take these cars long for the tracking to go off.

A good tyre is the Falken Fk452, and try here for tyres. UK Tyres Online: Cheap Car tyres | Blackcircles.com

·
Registered
77 Posts
Had F1 Eagles on my spider and the rear tyres wore very badly on the inside also had a stepped/up/down profile all around the circumference on the edge. Had the alighment fully checked including camber and found rear camber out. Unfortunately the rear has no adjustment on the camber, unlike the front.
However changed to a different type of tyre and the off-set wear on the rear was much less.
F1 Eagles were good tyres, but seem to wear extremely fast on one side on the rear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My rears are good, very even wear, but the Pirellis on the front are knackered on the inner edge, they're not that old and it was tracked when they went on.

I'm going to replace the wishbones, try a different tyre and try somewhere else for the tracking. I've heard good things about the Falken fk452's.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems that everycar/owner has a different experience....why am I not surprised about this with Italian cars! :cheese:

arachnofan - thanks for info, cant adjust camber on the back! Is that normal for a car? I am going for Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres all round. What the wear on them will be like is probably anyones guess!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
if its not too late just a cautionary word about the sessantas' i have a set on the front of mine. grip great when new but lacking after a few months. also had the mot done in december and was given a cation that the front tyres are nearing limit. its even wear so no issue other than the tyres But and a big but, the tyres have only been on since may and i don't spin wheels through fear of my wallet crying out (oh and the diff going), do drive a little hard on occassion but thats quicker wear than my old proxys.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
neiled - Too late like you said! New boots are on! Oh well. I do hope I get more life than you have! I have used he T1 R proxes on my previous cars and been happy with the life. Soo long as I can geta arond 2 years and 20,000miles I would be happy! Maybe a little optimistic hey!!!? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
neiled - Too late like you said! New boots are on! Oh well. I do hope I get more life than you have! I have used he T1 R proxes on my previous cars and been happy with the life. Soo long as I can geta arond 2 years and 20,000miles I would be happy! Maybe a little optimistic hey!!!? :rolleyes:
Just to summarise my Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres -

1. Happy with the grip levels in both Wet and Dry

2. Kept the pressures well

3. Inner wear has been ok, no issues here, although I did get a full 4 wheel aligment done, so this probably helped.

4. Tyres look great

5. Have noticed alot more stone chips on the sides of my bodywork (lower door) this could be due to the tyres kicking up stones but I cannot be sure it is this

6. Front tyres are worn now. 9 months, 8,000miles! Yeah tell me about it. I drive hard but I dont wheel spin, so life is quite shocking.

7. Rears are halfway through thread after mileage in point 6.

8. Buy again? unsure, I like them except for wear. I have been advised that on the V6 being heavy on the front I am unlikely to get good wear from any performance tyre.

Hope this helps someone else out.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
8k for the fronts is normal for spirited driving. I only got more than that from F1 GSD3s by swapping them front to back after first 2k. Now on Sessantas, seem fine, actually look a bit narrow as the shoulders seem quite rounded from new.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm lucky if I get 10k from a set of fronts (Eagle F1s). The rears are looking good for 20k as they've barely worn. Getting the tracking done by someone who knows what they're doing has made all the difference - it's taken 3 attempts at various places before it feels right and stops prematurely shedding the inside edge on the n/s front.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
if your car has Eibach springs fitted then there will be more negative camber at the back as it is not adjustable which will wear the inner edges of the tyres quicker

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
So to be honest do you guys think I will be lucky to see much more life out of any tyre?
Knowing from other posts that you drive "con brio", naturally!, then 8k might even be quite good! Michelin Pilot Sports are reckoned to be the Daddies in all respects including longevity but they are up to 50% more than Sessantas or F1s ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts