Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The passenger side (LHD model) rear indicator/yellow blinker light does not work. I had the whole cluster out yesterday afternoon and swapped the bulbs and holder with the driver's side to no avail (it worked on the driver's side).

I even got the multimeter out on it and although it read a voltage with the bulb out when the light should have been illuminated, it seemed different to the working driver's side. It's difficult to say as reading a changing voltage with a digital multimeter is difficult, but I guess the drivers side read +12, then +5 maybe, whereas the broken one read just +12, then 0v. I'm assuming there was no current as the bulb still didn't illuminate when it was connected and I didn't read any voltage. Additionally when I took the bulb out, the relay clicking increased in frequency (which I understood happens when the bulb is broke)... so it seems that the cabling between the control unit (?) and the cluster is intact.

I checked the fuses under the bonnet also to no avail, is there another fuse/relay or controller box under the dash for smaller circuitry like this?

Additionally it seems intermittent--sometimes it does work, but this is very rare. Could be a loose connection?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No replies :( Okay, just in case someone comes across this thread with the same issue... I'll update you.

I started to think that this was a more serious issue than a loose connection due to the fact that if the car hasn't ran for a while and you unlock it via the key fob for example, all indicator lights flash. After that the back left no longer works until you leave it for a while and unlock it with the key fob again--if you just unlock it after you've been using it, the light won't come on.

Took it to the garage today. Requires a new computer... cost CHF 550 (~£230) + fitting CHF 400 (~£190)... and as this is Switzerland, labour is very expensive. I did a few searches on the net and it seems this is about right--some guy in Ireland was quoting similar prices. Maybe I could get it cheaper in the UK, but I don't have that option. The car is due for the Swiss equivalent of an MOT soon and I need the lights working... one of the front ones has an issue too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello there,
I think i have found out what my problem is, most of the mecahnics that know a little about Alfa's have said the same thing that it is the computer. But today i have had a mechanic look at it and it would appear that the fuse box under the steering wheel has the flash control unit and most of the lighting controls under there. it looks like when i washed it water has got into this unit causing my indicator lights to go mad. may be worth having it checked for corrosion from moisture or water.

Hope you manage to sort yours out, will let you know how I get on Jay

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, but unfortunately it's too late for me to check. Had the computer fitted over a month ago! :(

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi riggle,
It is unfortunate that you did not recieve any repiles. I suspect because no one has had a similar problem.

Anyway, can we assume that the (expensive) computer replacement fixed you troubles?

Cheers!
bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyway, can we assume that the (expensive) computer replacement fixed you troubles?
No worries. It did fix the issue. I wasn't surprised that I needed a new computer when the garage called me as I'd seen a similar post reporting indicator light issues and a new computer.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts