Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the GT has had a rear fog light bulb warning the last week or so, despite the bulb not being used! I finally got a replacement bulb today and put it in - the old one looked fine. As expected after that, no rear fog light still and the same warning.

Has anyone else experienced this, and have any tips?

After having to replace a sidelight bulb again after about 2 months of ownership, my bulb bill is growing!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
So the GT has had a rear fog light bulb warning the last week or so, despite the bulb not being used! I finally got a replacement bulb today and put it in - the old one looked fine. As expected after that, no rear fog light still and the same warning.

Has anyone else experienced this, and have any tips?

After having to replace a sidelight bulb again after about 2 months of ownership, my bulb bill is growing!
I believe the electrical connector is vulnerable to getting crudded up.. It's nested in behind the right rear wheel, and can be the source of phantom bulb-blown messages if that get's dirty....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that might be the case! I need to have a look in the daylight to be honest, I decided to have a crack at it on the driveway 20 minutes ago in freezing temperatures which wasn't the brightest idea (puns will make this all better). Maybe another part that needs a good clean to get working again then.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have had several electrical gremlins since the weather has been wet and now cold, in most cases its down to things needing a clean or to be completely dry to work as intended.

with the cold sapping batteries overnight I have concluded that the electrics will behave like they do when a battery is on the way out...strangely!

a slightly poor connection that would not normally register with the ECU is falling below expected parameters due to the lower voltage.

having had the door card apart several time to track down a door sensor issue I can confirm that compared to my BMW E46 and other German cars I have worked on, the door card is flimsy and the insulation VERY poor...its no surprise that our cars are prone to these things more than others ...its NOT down to poor electrics IMO I think its down to poor protection against cold and moisture across the entire system.

next time the drivers door starts to misbehave I will swap the passenger and drivers side units over to see if the fault follows...if it does I will replace the drivers side unit but get some kind of polythene bag and cover both before re-installation...

as these little gremlins appear i will do the same each time using tape and or polythene to water proof the vulnerable connections...having had the car apart many times i can see there are several electrical connections that are almost completely unprotected...

hope its a quick and easy fix for you:thumbup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funnily enough I've had three E46's before this Alfa! Great cars, not without their faults but they were all lovely.

I had a look with a guy from work who is an electrician today quickly, and he says it looks like someone has modified the wiring in the past as its now using bullet connectors and crimps - there is also now an earth wire going straight into the chassis. So that's probably not the best, it could still just be a dirty connection but he wants to re-do the wiring on a weekend now - so until then I've got the issue.

It is silly that all of the plugs are just behind the rear wheel without any protection though, its asking for trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts