Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anything you can do with rear diffuser to give it a nice gloss finish.some type of paint as I use bumper shine but doesn't last that long..
love the carbon one but 500 pounds is a lot of money

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
I have the same issue. I have used Autoglym bumpercare, Simoniz back to black and even car plan tyre shine but after a couple of days it always looks faded and horrible.

I have been tempted to get it painted the same colour as the rear bumper or sand it smooth and paint it gloss/satin black.

·
Registered
36,803 Posts
Body colour would make the bumper heavy looking. Gloss black needs a bit of priming and filling as the grain is there to overcome sink marks from brackets act on rear face of valance.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would exhaust heat be an issue with paint .paint could chipeasy down there.maybe a hammerite gloss spray as that is tough old paint and negates primer:thumbup:

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
Just a thought, you used to be able to buy paint for colouring plastic trim like this. I think it was called bumpercoat or something similar.

All you had to do was clean the plastic properly to remove any contaminants such as silicone and then spray it on.

The colour would change but the grain would remain. I am sure dark grey/black would look original.

edit: Just looked on ebay and there are several different makes of paint specially for bumpers...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just a thought, you used to be able to buy paint for colouring plastic trim like this. I think it was called bumpercoat or something similar.

All you had to do was clean the plastic properly to remove any contaminants such as silicone and then spray it on.

The colour would change but the grain would remain. I am sure dark grey/black would look original.

edit: Just looked on ebay and there are several different makes of paint specially for bumpers...
Plastikote spray would work, I think it peels off if you fancy a change too.
I use a cream by turtle wax, lasts for weeks and beads too. I'll look tomorrow for the specific name..

·
Registered
431 Posts
I like the matt look, So horses for courses...
2 Ideas
Have a chat to a friendly crash repairer/spray painter and the next time he has black in the paint booth, he could paint it for some cash. They would have no problem making it gloss black or matt black as you see fit.

Or wrap it in a vinyl of your choice, carbon effect, matt black, gloss black, pink, whatever you like..

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just looked its Turtle wax black in a flash. I've never had much confidence in these type of things but this one surprised me :)

·
Administrator
88,041 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I had my additional Letser rear difussor and the original diffusor painted Satin black so they matched as some of the original diffusor is still visable.

There are pictures of it the thread giulietta cloverleaf for sale soon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts