Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,I got my new(to me) G 2 Wks ago,used the rear a few times unsure whether it actually did anything,got in it 05:30 yesterday to a frost and tried it and nothing,so suspicion confirmed,button lights up and ive checked the fuse,any other possibles it could be..:ermm:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I enquired today about getting looms for the tailgate from the dealers and they don't seem to split at the tailgate like they do at the passenger doors, so they quoted me £460 to get the entire body loom +VAT! WTF?:devious: I think if you have one of the affected cars it might be something you want to do sooner rather than later. In my cars original loom all of the wires are black with no obvious markings or id's. So if you are faced with more than one broken wire at a time it may be a very difficult to diagnose repair. The replacement intermediate loom will allow you to open up the original gaiters and change wire for wire before you get to a multiple choice mess. I'm thinking of doing it very soon so I will do a guide when I get around to it.

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
I enquired today about getting looms for the tailgate from the dealers and they don't seem to split at the tailgate like they do at the passenger doors, so they quoted me £460 to get the entire body loom +VAT! WTF?:devious: I think if you have one of the affected cars it might be something you want to do sooner rather than later. In my cars original loom all of the wires are black with no obvious markings or id's. So if you are faced with more than one broken wire at a time it may be a very difficult to diagnose repair. The replacement intermediate loom will allow you to open up the original gaiters and change wire for wire before you get to a multiple choice mess. I'm thinking of doing it very soon so I will do a guide when I get around to it.
I think it is unlikely that more than one wire will have broken at any time. It would certainly be a coincidence if that was the case.

The heated window one should be thicker than the others as it has to carry around 30A, although I haven't had the need to look at mine.

If you can find it, try bending it slightly as often when wires are broken they will bend a lot easier at that particular point.

Once you locate it, solder and heatshrink in a new section of wire.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I've think I've seen a picture from someone on here who had about 6 broken wires by the time it was opened up? but like you say the repair kit will allow a wire by wire replacement connection and then refitting of what looks like the proper gaiters. Trouble is it's going to cost about £130 for a DIY option, good thing I've got the proper tool to do the crimps up with, they would cost you at least another £50 see this:-
Our Catalogue | Cable Tie Catalogue | Brady Label Printers Catalogue | Crimp Terminals Catalogue | TAKBRO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the car back to garage today,after an hour and half they say its most likely a problem with the wiring loom,booked in next Thursday and being sorted

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,it turned out to be a faulty earth line,so a nice quick fix :yes: everything else going good,still have to turn around and look back when i lock it and smile inside :thumbup:

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
Bristol Street Motors charged me upwards of £800 to replace the loom :|
Bristol Street phoned today " to book the first service " for our Kuga . I asked if they presumed I was going to use them and that I'd booked it in elsewhere. What do they talk like it's their car. After the sales experience I wasn't going to encourage the after sales people !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts