Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Free A Rear Handbrake Caliper?my Ns Does Not Pull On.have Fitted A New Cable And Soaked It In Wd40 Even Resorted To Hitting It.is There A Fix? Dont Really Want To Fork Out Another 200 Quid.just Spent300 On Dimple And Grooved Discs And Green Stuff Pads And The Wife Has Finally Put The Block On Any More Spending.also The Heater Has Stopped Working Since I Had A New Ecu Fitted.any Ideas?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have you checked whether the caliper works at all? A good indication would be if the disc surface is clean after a medium distance drive or heavy breaking from 80Mph+

If the caliper itself is not seized, then check the mechanism attached to it which operates the caliper when the handbrake is applied, there is a return/resistance pring there which may be knackered. The only way to check is to remove the wheel and look at the state of affairs, then apply the handbrake and see if the mechanism has moved.

Third thing you could do is bleed your system, any air trapped in that caliper will render it useless.

IMHO not a good idea to put WD40 on your cable, that stuff desolves rubber and eventually dries off with the potentional of seizing the cable. Dont do it, epsecially where rubber is concerned as it will crack it.

No comment on your heater, whomever fitted a new ECU for you, should be given the car back to get it sorted, its more likely something was left disconnected on re-assembly.

Good Luck, and let us know how you get on. ;)

Hum :D

P.S. You know how it is, women do not tolerate another bella whilst they are around, two love affairs will get you in trouble in most cases. Try getting her some flowers when she is not expecting them :p

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Humour said:
grrrr!!!! dbl posting is noobish...sorry
hey cut me some slack fella,im new.so whats the protocol then?Anyway,getting back to the matter in hand the caliper is fine and would agree that is the spring thats at fault and this was the only thing that had wd40 on it.so looks like i`ll have to wait til the first meet of next year to try and obtain 1.sorry if i offended any 1 :p

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
First thing to check is the brake bias spring ;) That lurks up in the space in front of the petrol tank, passenger side and it's a bugger to find ;) It's connected to the antiroll bar and when you brake it distributes the braking power to the back ie. the ar bar moves yanks the spring and applies the back brakes, they go on all the alfas, get old and rusty and stretch. costs about £3

If it is your caliper that's goosed and you've changed the cable, simply change the calliper, if they're expensive new, PM me I've got a spare set from a 16v ;)

Plus the spring is on the handbrake cable aint it? which you've changed??

Heater wise, is it the heater or the fan that's bust? you checked the fuses? If it's the fan there's a big resistor that lives under the glovebox that could have blown

hth :D

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
alfiesredder said:
hey cut me some slack fella,im new.so whats the protocol then?Anyway,getting back to the matter in hand the caliper is fine and would agree that is the spring thats at fault and this was the only thing that had wd40 on it.so looks like i`ll have to wait til the first meet of next year to try and obtain 1.sorry if i offended any 1 :p

LoL! He was talking about himself ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as i work at the main ford dealer in coventry when it had the mot it passed on braking % but the hand brake failed.so caliper is fine,have just put new ebc discs and green stuff pads in it[after stuffing it up the arse on a mondeo]and noticed that the spring that connects to the cable aint returning.any advise on best option?new calipers are 215 plus vat and discounted to a ford dealer.forgot to mention mine has air con on it.does the said resisitor have 3 wires going to it?coz this was hanging down when i recieved it back from having ecu fitted.cant take it back there as i wasn't pleased with their service and told them so in no uncertain terms.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you need the handbrake adjusting properly.

Slacken the handbrake from inside the cabin then take the cable out of the caliper. Wind the piston out until the brake pads only just go in and the disc runs without catching...but only just. Then re-attach the cable and re-adjust the handbrake, it shouldn't need more than about five clicks before pulling the car out the rollers like mine does :D

wrinx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wrinx said:
Sounds like you need the handbrake adjusting properly.

Slacken the handbrake from inside the cabin then take the cable out of the caliper. Wind the piston out until the brake pads only just go in and the disc runs without catching...but only just. Then re-attach the cable and re-adjust the handbrake, it shouldn't need more than about five clicks before pulling the car out the rollers like mine does :D

wrinx
THANKS FOR THAT BUT AS I WAS FITTING NEW EBC DISCS AND GREEN STUFF PADS I NOTICFED THAT THE NS IS WEEPING SO I THINK ITS TIME FOR A NEW PAIR BUT AINT GONNA PAY 400 FOR A NEW PAIR.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yuo can buy a caliper repair kit from an Alfa dealer (about £20), not sure exactly what's in it but I'd have thought a seal would one of the items.

wrinx

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wrinx said:
Yuo can buy a caliper repair kit from an Alfa dealer (about £20), not sure exactly what's in it but I'd have thought a seal would one of the items.

wrinx
AS THE CAR HAS DONE 130K AND FINDING THE OSR VIRTUALLY SEIZED IM GONN ATRY AND GET A SECOND HAND PAIR

·
Registered
260 Posts
alfiesredder said:
hey cut me some slack fella,im new.so whats the protocol then?sorry if i offended any 1 :p
:lol: sorry m8, as thompa said, it wasnt directed at you, but myself.

I blame it all on Explorer!!! Thats my excuse and im sticking to it :D

Anyhoo, looks like you have a plan of action, and thompa has been kind enough to offer you a solution......for a price I'm sure :)

Hum

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
There's a whole plethora of caliper repair kits - the one you're after includes new rubber seals for the cylinder and some rubber grommets for the sliding pins (don't ask me - you get the grommets with the sliding pins kit too!). :rolleyes:

It's £33 for the kit (a couple of rubber o-rings and some bleed nipple dust-covers). :eek:

New bleed nipples (pair) is £11. :eek:

I'm not sure that buying a complete new caliper is such bad value.

Ralf S.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts