Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

How can i tell what size disc's the rear calipers are for , 251mm or 276mm (without measuring disc)

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I think the difference is in the bracket part of the caliper with the cylinder part being the same.
Both types of pads were fitted to both 251 & 276 discs too and I think it is the bracket part that differs with the pads too.

(a lot of "I think" in there, I know....!!)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx David I will try and slip a few Thinks in so to make yours not stick out :jester: :biglaugh:

In that case I Think i will have to find calipers I Think came off a car with 276mm disc's & Measure them up.
I Think i may have refurbed the wrong calipers as I Didnt Think about it when i picked them up.

Fingers crossed I Think that will work :jester:

Reactions: David C

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would like to report that your thinks were very correct. i had to find out so i went and got the other calipers.

But i did indeed refurb the wrong calipers but funny enough i bought the wrong disc's aswell so i have 251 calipers and 251 disc's

So i guess the older 2.5 v6's had 251mm.

Next question is can i fit them without losing much braking ,But i do have 330 disc's with Brembo's for the front. i cant return them as i bought them about 18 months ago

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Isn't it the caliper style that can tell you. The older smaller calipers had "fins" and the newer larger were "smooth".

Might be pics on website like Brakes International ..

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Isn't it the caliper style that can tell you. The older smaller calipers had "fins" and the newer larger were "smooth".
From what others have posted on here before, the cylinder part of the caliper is interchangable. That was about pad type anyway, not disc size.

The 276mm discs came along on the 156 with the old style pads with the spring on top before later changing to the type without the spring. The Sportwagons were the first to get the 276 disc.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
The 276mm discs came along on the 156 with the old style pads with the spring on top before later changing to the type without the spring. The Sportwagons were the first to get the 276 disc.
I can't ever remember working on 156 rear brakes which had 276mm discs & the old style pads with the spring in them. I'm pretty sure it all changed at the same time: Early finned calipers, smaller pad with spring fitted, shorter caliper carrier. Then at some point, it all swapped to late style smooth caliper, larger unsprung pad, taller caliper carrier.

147s use the late type caliper without the spring in the pad but on the 251mm discs, maybe you are thinking of that?

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I can't ever remember working on 156 rear brakes which had 276mm discs & the old style pads with the spring in them. I'm pretty sure it all changed at the same time: Early finned calipers, smaller pad with spring fitted, shorter caliper carrier. Then at some point, it all swapped to late style smooth caliper, larger unsprung pad, taller caliper carrier.
I thought early SW had the bigger disc with the early pad, but just checked again and you are correct.
From ePER (never 100% clear!!): On 15th July 2001 Sportwagons changed from 251 discs with early pads to 276 discs with late pads.
With the Saloons getting the 276 disc after the 2002 facelift.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Mirlock, to put your mind at ease - the 251 caliper it capable of locking the rear when the fronts are on 305mm with race grade pads and ABS fuse taken out (thus EBD not functioning). With EBD functioning, brake distribution should be ok

I have the 251mm brakes on my race 156 and I have the 276mm on my street 156 SW. I have played with my racer ABS to see if I can get better lap times with it disengaged. The only thing I learned from that is that the car does handbrake turns when pushing hard with the EBD off

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mirlock, to put your mind at ease - the 251 caliper it capable of locking the rear when the fronts are on 305mm with race grade pads and ABS fuse taken out (thus EBD not functioning). With EBD functioning, brake distribution should be ok

I have the 251mm brakes on my race 156 and I have the 276mm on my street 156 SW. I have played with my racer ABS to see if I can get better lap times with it disengaged. The only thing I learned from that is that the car does handbrake turns when pushing hard with the EBD off
Thank you Gertie

I wont have the worry of replacing anything now , its good news as i am forever worrying about something :biglaugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts