Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Got back to the car park after an enjoyable visit to Sizergh Castle to be met by a chap who'd seen a woman reverse into the 159's rear bumper leaving a dent the size of a £2 coin and some scratches. Apparently she got out of her DS, looked at the result of her appalling driving and drove off. The bodyshop want to replace the bumper (around £400 for the unpainted part) paint it and replace the badges (are they available?)
The kind gentleman who waited for me gave me her registration. Much as I would love her to know she's been found out and to pay for what she has done, I'd like to try the heat and push out from the back method as I'm not happy to leave it at the shop to be dismantled, only to find parts aren't available on a 12 year old car.
91,000 miles all over Europe without a scratch only to meet a dishonest driver at home....

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
You should report it to the local police as by law she has 24 hours to report. You have a witness and her car details to give them.
I know you want to try and repair it but why let some dishonest driver get away with it,had the damage been much worse I dare say she would still have drove off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should report it to the local police as by law she has 24 hours to report. You have a witness and her car details to give them.
I know you want to try and repair it but why let some dishonest driver get away with it,had the damage been much worse I dare say she would still have drove off.
I was told by a local police inspector that because no one was injured they would not be interested. They leave it to insurers to sort out. Sadly, that would be a note stuck on my blemish free claims record for next renewal. The bodyshop said they use an AXA service that pays for the damage and reclaims from the other driver because they have access to the miscreant's insurance details. That leaves me a bit uneasy with regard to false claims. The Honest John website has recorded just such events.
Damage to property but no charge? Leaving the scene of an accident but no charge? It's a bitter pill to swallow.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You can still report it to the insurers as a ‘No claim’ report, it should not affect your insurance at all?
If they locate the offender they will claim against them but it should not affect your premium.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke with RAC legal this afternoon. As a result rang Lancashire Constabulary who gave me an incident number. They will also liaise with Cumbria police. Furnished with the incident number I approached LV= insurance and will shortly be taking it for assessment. Despite having protected comprehensive insurance for all three of my Alfas it may affect my premiums at renewal. If the repair is more than half of the perceived value of the car, they will write it off. There is no going back. Justice???

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sad story after so many years of being cautious to keep it mint.

When you decide to (have it) repair(ed), make sure the rear bumper is put back correctly. As on mine I’ve seen multiple topics about people wondering why the gap between the bood lid and the bumper is so small that its rubs down the paint.

In such case the upper middle section is sitting above a retaining rail underneath to hold it into the correct position. It isn’t hard to mount it the right way, but for some reasons people do miss it when refitting.

Hope in the end you will be compensated without loss.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Disgusting if that’s the case through no fault of your own your car gets damaged yet you are penalised, like you say no justice in this world.
I was always under impression even if no one is hurt unless the 2 parties swap details etc it is a crime not to report within 24 hours.
I got forced over in my work van few years ago and ended up taking someone’s door mirror off,no one about to give details to,didn’t want to leave a note on screen in wet weather so I went and reported at local nick.
Probably could have got away with it but I just couldn’t do it as I would be gutted if other way round.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a call from Cumbria Constabulary. Details taken. Incident number given. Case now closed. We'll leave it to your insurer now.....

Thanks for the posts Leo-NL.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally, tomorrow the 159 goes in to Karl Vella Preston to have the bumper fixed. LV= are waving the £450 excess so I can only assume the miscreant has been caught out. Fingers crossed for a good job.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked the car up today. Absolutely fantastic job by Karl Vella, Preston. Nothing to pay as LV= waived my excess of £550, presumably because the insurer of the dear lady(?) accepted that she had been dishonest. The 159 looks like it's just come out of the showroom. Many thanks to the gentleman witness who found it unacceptable for someone to be so cavalier about damaging other people's property. I expect though, as it cost just short of £700, it will be reflected in my renewal because I put my vehicle at risk in a remote Cumbrian National Trust property....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Good to hear you at least found a body shop adress to trust your car being returned as supposed to. Although many might think that they are covered by insurance, it usually never balances when you need to claim anything. If not only because of the usual quite steep depreciation cars use to have. Reason why I try to keep insurance at a minimum level, only that part I can’t afford to loose (i.d. pay immediately out of my own pocket).

Enjoy many more miles in your back to mint 159!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts