Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MiTo is currently in (Croydon) for replacing rear brake pads and just been told that the piston on the calliper is seized and needs a new Brembo rear calliper and that this "often happens".

Brakes were fine before taking them in.

Anyone got experiences similar? Is this a common problem when changing brake pads as I am being told it is ..... I smell something fishy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well, my Mito QV (not yet, but soon...) is having a rear caliper changed today due to jammed handbrake worm drive mechanism, so yours is not the only one

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
342 Posts
I've had a couple of seized calipers in the past. Pretty sure they just 'unseized' the caliper and just replaced the pads and disks

·
Registered
210 Posts
They only need to replace the seal and pistons if they are corroded. however this takes times, so they will just chuck a new calliper on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm being told that you can no longer buy the seal, you have to have the whole calliper replaced?

Sounds to me like they've buggered up the calliper but want me to foot the bill for a new one.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Seized rear calipers are very common on all models of the MiTo. First question is how do you know they were okay before it went to the garage? Only an mot style brake tester will tell you for sure how good the rear brakes are.
I have brembo brakes on my motorbike and I know that seal kits are unavailable for them due to possible liability issues if the seals are not fitted correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First question is how do you know they were okay before it went to the garage? Only an mot style brake tester will tell you for sure how good the rear brakes are.
Because the brake pads were being changed due to being highlighted after a full service. And because they told me that taking them off was what caused the piston to seize up ....

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Worm out rear brake pads are also a symptom of seized callipers as they don't release properly and drag the pads. To get the new pads in they need to wind back the piston which is when they would find out that it's seized and won't move backwards.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Removing brake pads doesn't cause calipers to seize! Chances are what they said to you was that after removing the pads they found the piston seized after they tried to wind it back. Its a common fault on the mito, and also causes the rear pads and discs to wear pretty quickly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts