Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I leave my 1750 TBi 2014 Launch Edition on the drive parked for more than one day I find, even with the handbrake only clicked to the first level, that the rear brakes stick on extremely tightly. I then need to apply a fair bit of throttle, followed by the inevitable loud bang, as they release and the car moves forward. Does anybody else have this problem? As mentioned the handbrake is only ever applied to the first click which doesn't feel particularly tight on the lever. Wondered if this is an inherent problem or just one I'm having? I have a level driveway and it's a TCT so going to start leaving it in Park and not applying the handbrake as it's getting ridiculous. Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep, same here. Mine seems to stick after a wet run if left overnight, even in the summer. Now I leave it in "P". Friends VW does the same and VW recommend using "P" instead of handbrake.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also noticed that the first couple of brake applications in the mornings, are noisy. Now wonder if there's a slight coating of light rust built up on the discs, when left overnight.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I used to work for a car logistics company and standing instructions were to leave cars in the compound parked in gear and without the handbrake on. This is a practice I now apply to my own cars when leaving them parked overnight or longer. Particularly if parked after driving in the wet any car seems to stick the pads to the disks. It didn't used to be a problem in the dim and distant past but then the dust from pads and shoes was found to be harmful to health so the material had to be modified with the present problems which can be alleviated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That practice should be used on any car. I have learned the hard way- driving a Punto and leaving it with handbrake on in winter lead to freezing the cables and the car is unable to moove on the snow. The cable shields were cracked, so the result is this, The corrosion can make them stick too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So are you all saying that, basically, my wife has been right all along and, despite a general lack of sticky brakes, we should indeed be parking in gear rather than handbrake?!

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have the same on my 2016 giulietta (was not the case in the 1st month of ownership of the 3y old car in the autumn though).
And i did not have this on my 2005 nissan with brake pads from 2016...even in freezing not.
Would there be any hill even the slightest tilti in a parking deck i don't think it is a good idea to not use the handbrake.

PS how do you "leave in gear" a tct?? [see OP, and myself]

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have the same on my 2016 giulietta (was not the case in the 1st month of ownership of the 3y old car in the autumn though).
And i did not have this on my 2005 nissan with brake pads from 2016...even in freezing not.
Would there be any hill even the slightest tilti in a parking deck i don't think it is a good idea to not use the handbrake.

PS how do you "leave in gear" a tct?? [see OP, and myself]
"P" Leave it in "P." P=parking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So are you all saying that, basically, my wife has been right all along and, despite a general lack of sticky brakes, we should indeed be parking in gear rather than handbrake?!
Yes, she is right. There is always some possibility of corroding or freezing the handbrake cables. There is no need to use it, a car can be as useful without it, as is it with it. There are ways to park on a hill. Some may use something to stick in front/ back of the tire, or the easier way is to park with steering wheel on full lock to one of the sides to prop up the curb. If somehow the car manages to start moving by itself, then it should go sideways and is more likely to stop, and not go down the hill and accelerates.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've always parked my manual cars in gear and with the handbrake on very lightly if parked on the flat, and pulled up further if on a hill. I'm going to start leaving the handbrake off all the time at home now and just leave it in P 'park'. It's definitely more noticeable in winter than it is in summer.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I also get sticking handbrake when left for a long time in damp conditions, but have not had a frozen handbrake cable during my almost two year ownership despite extreme winter conditions.
Not a bad idea to leave the handbrake alone when parked on a flat surface for a long period unless safety requires it to be used.
I't also good to rememebr that if you hardly ever use the handbrake it's a recipe for trouble in the long term.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutely. My new method is handbrake off and car in P everyday when at home and handbreak on when stopped temporarily on outings and at work etc. That way you'll give it a good mix of use but crucially you'll avoid the main 'overnight' sticking problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts