Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 Spider 2.0l TS

Could anyone advise if the tool shown in the repair manual for winding back the rear caliper piston is required. If it is any ideas were I can get hold of one.

Any advice is most welcome and if anyone knows when the rain will stop so I can get the job done please let me know.:) :lol:

Regards Geoff

·
Registered
629 Posts
i think that basically the pistons have a thread around them, they need to be rotated, you can't just push them in.
you can buy wind back tools with different plates that have pins which would fit in and do the turning.
i bought one from halfords months, it's got two different sets of pins, can't say for sure if it will fit the gtv.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did a search on the threads within the forum and someone has suggested that it is possible to wind the piston back in with a pair of pliers, long nose type I think, but dont know how easy or successfull it was.

Would prefer to do the job with the correct tool, however I would prefer to buy the tool that I know will do the job, so if anyone has used said tool, it would be appreciated if they could let me know were they purchased it from and the cost.

W

·
0 Posts
Get yaself to Halfords and buy their £20 set, works well on calipers. You could try water pump prliers and a G-clamp but it's a pain to be honest.

Snipe nose pliers will only work on calipers that are inperfect condition, most of them are stiff so you'll struggle.

wrinx

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wrinx

Many thanks for the info. I was in Halfords today, sad yes, but nothing better to do as its rained all day and was wondering if the tool they had would do the trick. Will give it a try.

Geoff

W

·
0 Posts
Alfas aren't listed but if it's the one with a couple of discs and a large corkscrew type tool then it will fit...bad description but you get the idea ;)

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
I did it ok on my spider just using waterpump pliers as wrinx said, didn't need a clamp though. Wasn't too hard, you just have to make sure you don't snag the rubber boot round the piston.

Basically, the piston looks like a circle with a sort of victoria cross in the middle (poor description I know, but don't have any pics handy)

W

·
0 Posts
From memory Spider calipers are similar to a 155s and aren't too bad with the water pump pliers.....156s on the other hand! :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D Purchased the caliper piston wind back tool from Halfords £19.99 (only has one disc) and I must say it was a perfect fit and did the job required without any trouble. Brakes are now top notch.

Unfortunately I noticed the nearside rear tyre was wearing on the inside. I checked all the bushes on both sides and found no free movement at all. Would appreciate any feedback on how noticeable the wear in the bushes are.

I have booked it for a lazer wheel alingnment check with a local garage that was recommended to me by a body shop. Will find out if thats the problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:D Purchased the caliper piston wind back tool from Halfords £19.99 (only has one disc) and I must say it was a perfect fit and did the job required without any trouble. Brakes are now top notch.

Unfortunately I noticed the nearside rear tyre was wearing on the inside. I checked all the bushes on both sides and found no free movement at all. Would appreciate any feedback on how noticeable the wear in the bushes are.

I have booked it for a lazer wheel alingnment check with a local garage that was recommended to me by a body shop. Will find out if thats the problem.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Has anyone had a piston that rotates but doesn't retract?
I'm trying to re-assemble my rear brake, and the female threaded part inside the piston rotates as soon as it engages with the male part in the caliper, so the thread doesn't feed in any more.
I'm using a simple keying tool to rotate the piston, perhaps I need the simultaneous compression and rotation of the proper tool to make it work.
Anyone know about this? I've tried swearing at it at the same time which helps a little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did my brakes all round at the weekend and had exactly the same problem.

I found that by unscrewing the piston about 2 turns then screwing it in it went back no problems. Unscrewing it pulled the piston out further and obviously caught whatever the thread needed to catch!!

Incidently I used an open face spanner with a bar through the ring end to screw the pistons in no problems, save the £20!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts