Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it goes: my GTV 2.0 TS '97 is causing me some problems...brake problems. The thing is that the left rear brake is not functioning properly. The handbrake doesn't let go and the pads are always pressing onto the disc. The disc heats up really quickly and after just a couple of miles it's hot like hell (if I throw some snow onto it it melts and evaporates immediately! like, in a second!)...(oh, I have Lucas brake calipers if that's of any help)

I'm guessing that the pads got stuck, but why? Is the inner mechanism of the handbrake causing this problem or the two bolts that hold the calipers together? And another thing: if I take the bolts out do I have to replace any plastic or rubber parts? I've read somewhere that all I need to do is to clean the whole caliper and that will "cure" my problem...but I can't find it anymore...

Anyone?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Here it goes: my GTV 2.0 TS '97 is causing me some problems...brake problems. The thing is that the left rear brake is not functioning properly. The handbrake doesn't let go and the pads are always pressing onto the disc. The disc heats up really quickly and after just a couple of miles it's hot like hell (if I throw some snow onto it it melts and evaporates immediately! like, in a second!)...(oh, I have Lucas brake calipers if that's of any help)

I'm guessing that the pads got stuck, but why? Is the inner mechanism of the handbrake causing this problem or the two bolts that hold the calipers together? And another thing: if I take the bolts out do I have to replace any plastic or rubber parts? I've read somewhere that all I need to do is to clean the whole caliper and that will "cure" my problem...but I can't find it anymore...

Anyone?
Cleaning may cure it, take the pads out, get some brake cleaner spray and use the whole tin on it!, agitate the deposits with a stiff brush at the same time, the brake is dragging so its costing you fuel, quicker u fix it less it costs, its possible that the heat has damaged your seals but not likely, as with any safety orientated part its probably best to take it to an expert, local garage will do, theres nothing special about the brakes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i had a similar problem. it may be more than cleaning, as i had mine allegedly 'cleaned and lubed', but all it done was free it from sticking...the caliper still didn't function properly.

it may just need a replacement cylinder/piston thing, no big deal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i agree with msgtv, i had a similar problem, i just took the pads out and gave it a good clean up with a wire brush and screwdriver just to scrape away all the crap that accumulates on and around the caliper, pay paticular attention were the pad sits, the pad should not be so tight that it can't move. I have'nt had a problem since. I did not have to replace any plastic or rubber parts. Its an easy job.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts