Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Changing the rear pads on one side and normally i make a gap and push the piston back with screwdiver and old pad but it just wasn't shifting. i had the brake resovior lid open but it wasn't moving. i've changed pads and disc's before but this is 1st time i came across this. I wasn't sure what was the cause and halted doing the others. the rear had the handbrake cable attached to it which was down anyway. Any ideas, do i need more brute force? just looking on internet for simple ideas for pushing it back

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks, thought i need to go the gym again :D. checked other threads and it seems rears are rewind and fronts are push only. if i knew this i would have done the fronts by now :cry: .

Any tools that might help with this, laser and Sealey? I did notice 2 notches on the edge of the rear piston and thought what the....

K

·
0 Posts
If it's in bits on your driveway and you need it rolling, you can usually do it with a pair of reasonably strong hands and some long nosed pliers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it's in bits on your driveway and you need it rolling, you can usually do it with a pair of reasonably strong hands and some long nosed pliers.
Or, if you have a typical angle grinder or perhaps a circular saw with a certain kind of retaining nut, you can use the wrench which came with the tool to retract the caliper. What you need is something which will engage the notches on the edges of the piston so that you can turn it while applying pressure to retract the piston.

You can use a "G" ("C") clamp but I used a big screwdriver wedged in such a way that I could apply pressure to retract the piston.

Of course a proper specialized tool is best, but the job really isn't too hard to do without one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your tips :thumbs:. i've put rear back together with the old pads fearing calliper was siezed.

Tried the fronts the following day and unfortunately, i may have damaged the head of allen nut holding the disc against the hub. it seems it may have siezed with the heat from the brakes, or maybe rust from the disc against the allenbolt but i believe there is a bit more to try and get it to undo it. if the head is ruined any ideas how i can undo it to get disc off? i've never come across this before when changing disc's, 1st time, normally they undo with ease.

thanks,

·
Registered
135 Posts
try hammering a slightly bigger torx bit into it and use a hammer impact driver, if its still stuck then just drill it out, you dont need it to attach the disc (just did my fronts and the screws wouldnt fit the discs so left them off)

·
Registered
841 Posts
try hammering a slightly bigger torx bit into it and use a hammer impact driver, if its still stuck then just drill it out, you dont need it to attach the disc (just did my fronts and the screws wouldnt fit the discs so left them off)
Or use an impact driver to undo it. Its like a big screwdriver (with interchangable "bits") that you hit with a lump hammer. It turns the bolt slightly whilst under the load of the hammer. Absolutely magic tool.

James

Edit; sorry Cambio mentioned impact drivers already...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm planning to get the a pair ofhex screws but from Alfa spares. ECP don't do them. if it comes to the point that i have to drill the head off would there be any bit of the thread stem sticking out so i can use a plier and turn it out, does anyone have any experience of this so far maybe on other cars?

thanks,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just go for it, start with a small drill then go up to a bigger one, the screws are counterbored so if you drill the heads off about 3 mm the disc will come off. Them you can have a go at the screw with mole grip or easy outs. Often when the tension is released (when the discs come off) the thread is released. If not just drill with increasing sizes and if you're lucky the heat will move it, if not when you have almost fully drilled it out take a punch to the edges and try to collapse whats left in on itself and peel it out bit by bit.
Doesnt matter if you don't get it out anyway, brakes will work quite happily without.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thanks Alfisti's,

My dad said he'll join in. asked him to get a hallow iron tube from work if he can find one and use that as extra lever with the wrench to undo the big bolts at the back and take that pesky little allen key screw out.

BTW anyone who buys wiper bladess from Euro car parts make sure you check your wiper sizes on 159's. their systems supplied me the wrong sizes for Bosch blades. i had to correct them and teach them how to read the back with the passenger and driver labels. told them to correct their system too when they can.

cheers!
Alfamani

1 - 14 of 14 Posts