Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening!
I am running into some major problems when replacing my rear pads. Short story: took off old pads and by mistake throw them in the bin.. Have new EBC Yellowstuffs to put in, but then problems start.. Have cleaned the pad carrier surface down to bare metal, but when installing the anti-rattle clip, the fit is too tight, the pad will not fit. Without the clip it goes well, almost too much slack. I also bought a pad fitting kit, the metal guides supposed to fit in the carrier, that does not fit at all, and none were installed before either.. Now the weird thing starts, because when checking on ePer, my carrier is not shown for any 156 model..!? I think the number on it is CH6 Lucas 5370/2 or 5390/2 Have done research on the net, but no solution. Only thing I can think of, is that this carrier is from an other Alfa-model, maybe from the 145? Btw, the caliper is correct, the early version aluminium Lucas-type. Please see attached photos of the carrier/pad. Will be greatly thankful for any advice here/what to do. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
use without clips, or fit the clips but grind down the pad.
Thanks for your reply! I was thinking of doing that as an emergency solution; second thought was to get new carriers, and fit with the fitting plates meant to be there... I have about a millimeter clearance with pad inserted, afraid that will be too much and cause some noise..?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Just file the pads to fit.

Bear in mind that aftermarket pads will most likely not use the OE backplates so the dimensions may be a little bit out, or the paint thickness may be more than the OE pads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just file the pads to fit.

Bear in mind that aftermarket pads will most likely not use the OE backplates so the dimensions may be a little bit out, or the paint thickness may be more than the OE pads.
It is not the thickness that is the problem, it is the width. It`s the carrier metal clip/guides that is not present. Or better explained: I would like to know what model my carrier comes from; then I just order a fitting kit for this, and all sorted!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I meant. The thickness of paint the on the edges which locate in the carrier will affect how well the pads fit.
I see your point now, I was a bit "unclear" last night I think.. :biglaugh: Now working with Mr. Dremel, I cut to pieces a fitting kit, then end up with small pieces that, when inserted to the carrier, makes a perfect fit for the pad! That was my best and only option, at least worth a try..!

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Not sure what you have in the "fitting kit", but as std the pad just sits on the carrier with nothing in between.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts