Alfa Romeo Forum banner
161 - 180 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Been battling with AR Customer Service and dealer since second service in December on this. Result - just paid £463 to get rear discs and pads replaced........now moving onto the Ombudsman.
£463 is a complete rip off! If you want to stay with genuine discs/pads these are available for just over £200 from shop4parts (with the 10% discount available on here). The internal cost for these parts within the dealer network is even cheaper, before retail mark-up. So you've paid well over the odds for labour which is scandalous!

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=24788&sku=318834

·
Registered
8 Posts
£463 is a complete rip off! If you want to stay with genuine discs/pads these are available for just over £200 from shop4parts (with the 10% discount available on here). The internal cost for these parts within the dealer network is even cheaper, before retail mark-up. So you've paid well over the odds for labour which is scandalous!

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=24788&sku=318834
The whole scenario is scandalous!
My bill broke down as follows:
Discs 2 x £98.71 = £197.42
Pads 1 set =£62.70
Brake cleaner £5
Total parts £265.12
Plus VAT TOTAL PARTS £318.14
The rest is labour £145

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
The whole scenario is scandalous!
My bill broke down as follows:
Discs 2 x £98.71 = £197.42
Pads 1 set =£62.70
Brake cleaner £5
Total parts £265.12
Plus VAT TOTAL PARTS £318.14
The rest is labour £145
ok so the labour is probably what you may expect from a dealer but the mark-up on the parts is frankly quite ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

So, 8k and not quite 12months after having my rear discs and pads replaced at 1st service due to scoring, pitting and uneven inboard/outboard wear, I am back at square 1.

Beechdale have very kindly pushed through a 2nd warranty claim, so they will get done, but I just don’t understand what’s going on with the brakes?

I’ve never seen wear like this before, puzzled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
They look just like the rear discs on my Fiat 500x, I've been given every excuse under the sun as to why but flat refusal that it is anything to do with the quality or a possible warranty issue, my pads are not worn excessively so I've just lived with it, either it is a quality issue or the rear calipers are not working hard enough, some have suggested something to do with the electronic handbrake but not sure how,

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Anyone done any pad replacements themselves yet? I see there is a brake service option on the car's menu, what does that do? I presume releases the brakes in Park mode?

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,021 Posts
Mintex website suggests the reasons for scoring.

https://mintex.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Mintex_Fault_Diagnosis_ENG.pdf

Brake discs are scored
Score marks on the friction ring surface can have various causes:
1. unsuitable friction material of the brake pads;
2. severe soiling of the brake discs or pads;
3. corrosion;
4. overloading of the brake system;
5. unsuitably soft brake disc material.

Scoring can have a wide range of structures, from very fine to very coarse, which makes it
difficult to define clear rules about the extent of scoring that is still acceptable. In general, an
experienced mechanic can usually judge whether or not a scored disc needs to be replaced.
Up to a point, scoring does not affect the braking performance, but if the brake pads are
replaced it is common practice that the discs have to also be replaced to optimise braking
efficiency.

My rear discs replaced last December with new pads are starting to show signs of scoring and pitting. I personally think the cause is either 1, 5 or both. Strangely it is just the rear discs which may mean they are made by a different supplier perhaps? Any one know if there is a manufacturing difference between front and rear discs, pads?

Reactions: matty74

·
Registered
100 Posts
Resurrecting this thread to relate my experience...
Giulia will be 3 years old in March, and done ~28,000 miles and had the "check brake pads" light come on a couple of weeks ago. When I looked at them was shocked at just how badly grooved and 'scabby' the rear discs were (front ones look perfect). Have to admit I've probably been a bit lax in keeping an eye on them.
So I rooted through this forum and found this thread. Took the car into the main dealers who informed me I'd need pads and discs - no amount of discussion about it being a reported issue with Giulias of that age would convince them that there was ever going to be any basis for a warranty claim. Too old and too many miles. And they were quite dismissive of forums like this too. "It's corrosion, sir" ... not like any corrosion I've ever seen.
Their quote was ~£470 for new discs/pads ; there's a dearth of independents round here, but found MVC in Sale courtesy of this forum, who gave me a much better quote. Now have a pair of nice shiny rear discs and new pads for £200 less.
I got them to give me the old ones - which I've attached photos of...they are quite shocking really.

Next stop - Alfa Customer Service - see if they have an opinion on this. Not expecting much though to be honest.

And many thanks to John at MVC - really nice bloke, knows his Alfas, and sensibly priced

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Wow that’s shocking wear ... even for 28k.

Think I could hazard a guess at who the main dealer was, judging by your location.

Glad you got it sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,021 Posts
I am not surprised at the condition of the rear discs. There is an issue with either the disc material and/or the pad contact patch. You can see the outer few mm circumference of the disc is not even contacting the pads. The shiny areas where the pads are in contact are obviously grooved. I had my rears paid for under warranty about 1 year ago when they started pitting and grooving. The new set is starting to show some gooves about 8k miles later but not as bad as before. Dealer first denied warranty. I had ARCC on the case the dealer was then "told" by the case manager to submit a warranty claim even though the service advisor was adamant it will not be approved. Well it was then approved straight away by Italy and I got new discs and pads. They did have to send the old ones back though as it was warranty work. I liked the look on the service advisor's face when I collected the car.

Reactions: matty74

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am not surprised at the condition of the rear discs. There is an issue with either the disc material and/or the pad contact patch. You can see the outer few mm circumference of the disc is not even contacting the pads. The shiny areas where the pads are in contact are obviously grooved. I had my rears paid for under warranty about 1 year ago when they started pitting and grooving. The new set is starting to show some gooves about 8k miles later but not as bad as before. Dealer first denied warranty. I had ARCC on the case the dealer was then "told" by the case manager to submit a warranty claim even though the service advisor was adamant it will not be approved. Well it was then approved straight away by Italy and I got new discs and pads. They did have to send the old ones back though as it was warranty work. I liked the look on the service advisor's face when I collected the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have reached the end.........The Motor Ombudsman has investigated and the day after they put the case to AR for a response they came back with a refund offer from them.
The full £463 is now safely back in my bank account. A great result. Only took 9 months!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just did my rear discs and pads today .
Replaced with genuine Alfa parts from shop4parts.
Heavy rust on the inside of the disc

Took about 2 hours on the driveway. You do need a wind back tool for the pistons. I got one on Amazon for £20

Attachments

·
4,021 Posts
That is consistent with the other discs I have seen. Did you use MES or the infotainment to put the rear parking brake into maintenance mode? Can you pen down the steps?

Reactions: paulryan1234

·
Registered
298 Posts
That is consistent with the other discs I have seen. Did you use MES or the infotainment to put the rear parking brake into maintenance mode? Can you pen down the steps?
I used the infotainment menu to release the parking brake into maintenance mode.

Very similar to the front.

2 I think E18 or E20 (can't remember ) bolts holding the caliper to the holder.

One Allen key bolt holding the disc to the hub.
I had to remove a little plate with the Alfa Romeo decal from the caliper for the wind back tool to fit correctly. Held on my two small torx head screws.

Apart from that it was very straightforward.
Longest part of the job was cleaning up the calipers

Reactions: metalgod23
161 - 180 of 221 Posts