Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, took my girl into get a nuisance check engine light looked at and during the vehicle health check they noted that the rear pads are 50% worn.

Call me stupid, but at less than one year old and only 10,400 miles on the clock, I don't think I should be seeing this!

I would also expect the front pads to be wearing a lot quicker than the rears.

The dealer seemed non too concerned, but to me it suggests something is wrong.

I don't think the brakes are binding as there is no noticeable heat difference between the front and rear units and my MPG (I'd expect to suffer) is excellent.

Any ideas?

I've emailed Alfa Customer Service, awaiting a response.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Our XC60 always wears the rear pads quicker than the front. I'm told it is all the electronic wizardry that does it. Sounds like tosh, but I can't think of any other reasonable explanation.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,021 Posts
I have been meaning to post on this topic but you raced me to it. When mine went through a safety check when in last week I had a report that rear discs are scored and pads worn down to half! I am at 15k miles. Never had to repalce disks and pads at this mileage on any car I have owned. More like 30k+ for rears is reasonable. The scoring is on both wheels of rear discs only. So it can't be debris. I plan to write to ARCC as well.

Any others seen this?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I have been meaning to post on this topic but you raced me to it. When mine went through a safety check when in last week I had a report that rear discs are scored and pads worn down to half! I am at 15k miles. Never had to repalce disks and pads at this mileage on any car I have owned. More like 30k+ for rears is reasonable. The scoring is on both wheels of rear discs only. So it can't be debris. I plan to write to ARCC as well.

Any others seen this?
If 30k+ miles for new rears is reasonable then surely 15k for half worn rear pads is reasonable, no?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Forgive my ignorance on things mechanical, but why would the disks be scored and need replacing if the pads are only at half wear?

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts

Any others seen this?
Had it on mine at 24k miles metalgod. Had noticed the scoring/hazing on the discs prior to the24k service but never got around to mentioning it. New discs and pads replaced under warranty, no quibbling. I think there was a bad batch of discs.

·
4,021 Posts

Any others seen this?
If 30k+ miles for new rears is reasonable then surely 15k for half worn rear pads is reasonable, no?
Yes but, let me clarify. I have previously replaced pads when more than 70% worn at about 30 to 40k miles on the rears. In fact it's been more than 50k miles on most cars. I too think the TC or nannies could be controlling the rear brakes more than other cars I have owned perhaps. Even then my main concern is the scoring on the rear discs which are very similar on both rear wheels. The discs should not score. The front discs are fine although have a slight lip consistent with wear.

I also mentioned the very rusty wheel weights which are ridiculous looking now. Luckily the dark wheels don't show them much.

I was told the discs and wheel weights are wear items and not covered by warranty. Now that Hugh has mentioned his was replaced under warranty for the scoring, I will be taking this up with ARCC. I can accept pad wear premature sometimes but not needing to replace discs at 15k! The scoring is deep in places but not affecting braking from what I feel so I have left it for now till I contact Alfa.

@Hamfisti, exactly the discs should not score when pad is not worn enough. If it was one wheel then I might account for it as road debris, but not both sides and rear only.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Yes good luck with anything brake related and warranties.

Sounds like something is wrong though. Im up to 80k on the Maser now and still on original rear discs and pads.

·
4,021 Posts
I will raise a case out of principle and to flag it up for wider consideration. In reality I will probably replace with Brembo or EBC fast road discs and pads.

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
82 Posts
is there any link to the electronic handbrake system also?

seems to engage super quick whew on an incline etc, and as previously indicated, nanny state traction control, abs etc will also have an impact ??

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been in touch with Alfa and they will contact the dealer directly for further information.

My brake discs are pitted but not sure if they are scored etc

I was not expecting to change brake pads on a 2 year lease covering less then 28k It's not as if Brembo are a budget manufacturer?!

I think they will just say wear and tear.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sorry, assumed all models had separate calipers for the parking brake.
No, us poor people can't afford such flamboyant luxuries. :jester:

1 - 20 of 221 Posts