Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am mid way through changing the rear discs and pads on my 156 SW to cure a squeal.

Removed the pads to check wear and the inside drivers side pad was about half the thickness of the rest. I assumed the pad had stuck on the caliper carrier causing the squeal and the wear. However the lower caliper retaining slide bolt on both sides were very hard to remove, more so on the irregularly worn side. The top bolts are fine, they are simple straight slide bolts, the lower ones have a rubber sleeve on them mounted in a recessed section of the slide section which slips onto the caliper carrier. They are extremely tight. The bores in the caliper carrier are clean, the bolts slide in with a dab of copper grease, or a spray of wd40 (been trying this on the bench!) but the rubber sleeve seems to stick to the inside bore of the caliper carrier of I try it without any lube.

Is this normal? I really have to fight these bolts in and out!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, didn't make it clear, the protective rubber boots are in place fine. The lower caliper slide bolts have a sleeved rubber section as part of them. Never seen anything like it!

Without the sleeves, the caliper slide bolts just rattle around in the bore of the caliper carrier, with the sleeve they are damned tight to get in or out!

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Sorry, didn't make it clear, the protective rubber boots are in place fine. The lower caliper slide bolts have a sleeved rubber section as part of them. Never seen anything like it!

Without the sleeves, the caliper slide bolts just rattle around in the bore of the caliper carrier, with the sleeve they are damned tight to get in or out!
I had the same issue when I refurbed mine. As if the rubber was swollen. I ended up cuting off very small ammount off the rubber at 3-4 places of the sleeve to make them thinner, than greased and put back. all fine. The rubber sleeve has ribs, I basically cut half of them off.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for that, I just removed the calipers and slide bolts again, took a g clamp on one side, which ripped the rubber, and the other side which I managed to get out, I cut too deep and ruined the rubber bit! Good work, car now immobilised!

Off to Alfa dealer tomorrow!

Any idea what part I'm asking for? And any other fiat group cars with the same part as Fiat dealer tends to be better stocked!

·
3,202 Posts
Oh, thats bad news.... you need to be more careful, I meant just shaving off small bits of the ribs on the rubber sleeves with a sharp knife, not to to cut through them...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee114/gotcha147/147 GTA Q2 Projects/Rear brakes refurb/01.jpg

I doubt the bolts would be available from dealer. EPER lists them only as a part of complete bracket. Other bits are available separately and also in a refurb set like this:
Obrázky k produktu FK 238022
just the rubber sleeves on the sliding pins are not. Probably time to call a breaker....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I know I'm screwed!!!

Are they common parts to any other cars?

Biggred do a refurb kit for £27 which includes a pair of the rubbers. May give them a call tomorrow first!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rebuild is best, especially on an old caliper. Why not simply rebuild both of them and know you're safe and problem free for another 6 year at least ?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would love to, but I lack the mechanical skill to rebuild them!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not think it's that difficult to rebuild them, I am not a mechanic either but eventually I will give the rebuild kits a go, both front and back.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I know I'm screwed!!!

Are they common parts to any other cars?

Biggred do a refurb kit for £27 which includes a pair of the rubbers. May give them a call tomorrow first!

The rear calipers? Yeah they're the same as any other 156/147/Gt fitted with the larger rear discs, they're just painted red on the gta's.

It sounds like you're using a g clamp on the caliper to wind the piston back in. This isn't really recommended as you can damage the internal thread. Laser make a caliper wind back tool specifically for the task. Costs about £20 from halfrauds.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a g clamp to remove the caliper to caliper carrier bolts and a proper rewind tool to wind the caliper piston back in.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Caliper refurb kit including the caliper slide bolt rubber inserts, and the concertina seals ordered from Bigg red. Overnight by interlink express for £27 plus delivery.

Alfa dealer said the sleeves might be part of a service kit at £13 a side, but might not, the concertina rubbers are £30 each!!!!!

Local factor suggested fuel hose, or silicon hose, but couldn't find any the right size.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bits arrived and used! All working, hooray!

Couple of points to note.

First, the section of the caliper carrier where the stainless steel clips sit needed attacking with a power file to get all the crud off and the rust etc cleaned away.
Cleaned up, the pads fit nicely and slide easily back and forwards.

The rubber sleeves on the caliper slides need a dab of red rubber grease to fit them. I found that the rubber sleeves needed shortening, not thinning out. A mm off one end gets them fitting the bore beautifully.

The discs I used were dimpled and grooved jobs from mtec. The pads are standard red box Mintex.

·
3,202 Posts
good job :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Where can you buy new caliper slide bolts?
I can find the ones without the rubber sleeve, but cannot find the ones with the rubber sleeve?
Unfortunately my carrier lower bolt with sleeve was rusted solid and now i have removed it is also bent!
Car is going no where now!
Any help greatly appreciated, i need to get the car going for my holiday in 7 days argh

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a Misubishi Shogun that uses the same arrangement of plain upper slider pin and rubber sleeved lower pin on fronts and rears. The assembled knowledge on the Shogun/Pajero forums is that the rubber expands if exposed to mineral based oils and grease, particularly copper grease. So the recommended approach is to use brake cleaner (not WD40) to clean and red brake grease (silicone based) on the slider pins for lube; I've done that on my Shogun and the brakes have been fine with even wear on both pads for the last 3 years.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a Misubishi Shogun that uses the same arrangement of plain upper slider pin and rubber sleeved lower pin on fronts and rears. The assembled knowledge on the Shogun/Pajero forums is that the rubber expands if exposed to mineral based oils and grease, particularly copper grease. So the recommended approach is to use brake cleaner (not WD40) to clean and red brake grease (silicone based) on the slider pins for lube; I've done that on my Shogun and the brakes have been fine with even wear on both pads for the last 3 years.
Agreed. Red rubber bits are available from Bigg Redd. The actual bolt will probably be a dealer part. You might have luck if you go to an old style motor factor where the guy knows what he is talking about rather than being a PC jockey.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I bought second hand calipers last week so I just used the carrier off one of them. Pita thing is I just regreased everything with copper grease. So I will strip down and regrease 2 moz with silicone ht grease. Wish I had known that before lol.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Thanks for your help guys will remember for the future :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts