Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for not first introducing me properly, I will do so when I find some time.

I own a 1983 Alfasud Sprint, I use to car on the track only. It has a coil-over front suspension and a more standard set-up for the rear (Koni shocks with very stiff springs). I want to stiffen up the back a bit more to give more grip to the front. I know Autodelta created a rear anti-roll bar for the Alfasud racing cars. Does anybody know where to find a similar bar these days?

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
I bought mine from a company in Australia. Cost me 200 australian dollars or something like that.
Its originally intended for the 33 , but because the suspnsion is the same, you can fit it to your sprint.

I will take a look and find that purchase I did later on.

One thing though... do you have rear disk brakes or drums ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally this Sprint was fitted with inboard front brakes and discs at the back. A previous owner swapped front and back with 33 16V ones. So outboard front discs and drums at the rear. I plan to swap the front brakes with the ones of a 155 V6, rear brakes of a 33 with ABS will find their way to the rear.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
the reason why I'm asking is because the rear axle is rounded if its drums and its flat if its disk brakes ( talking for pre 91 editions, not the ABS models )

The rear roll bar attaches on the rear axle and mounted on the chassis of the car. So if its a rounded one, it will need a bit of welding onto it ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently I have the rounded axle. Welding is not problem, I think most people driving Alfa's have to have some welding skills to keep the cars on the road ;)

I have some pictures of a rear anti-roll bar, I believe is was the Autodelta one. That bar was bolted to the trailing arms, so that works a bit differenty then.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
No , but they seem to be more profesional than the guys I bought mine from.

They promised to supply me with installation mounts, but havent heard from them sinse I bought the bar :(

I still havent installed mine though because I wanted to see if I could find proper installation mounts instead of fabricating my own

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you make that yourself?

Did you somehow calculate exactly where to mount it to the trailing arms? I think moving it a few inches forward or backwards can make quite a difference?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Thats the beauty of this application. By moving the bar closer or longer to the mounting points it makes a difference on the stiffness of the bar as the torque changes due to different angle . Also , the diameter of the bar makes difference.

it is easy to make , it is just a bar bended to match the rods and make the connectors.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good to me!

I will try to find a local shop who can make this for me.

I believe the Autodelta one was 20mm? Does anybody know this for sure?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I had a front bar from Rhoddy Harvey Bailey (HBE) in England who offered a rear bar as well. I had it on my Alfasud and then Minari when hillclimbing.
After a couple of seasons, I changed to coilover suspension and decided that the ARB and brackets were a lot of weight to be carting around and took it all off. Instead, I made a stack of front springs (very stiff, medium and weak - can't remember the exact spring rates). This gave the effect of progressive suspension and kept the inside front wheel in better contact with the tarmac for traction. This needed pretty good (custom Bilstein) dampers.
The set up was very successful for both circuit racing and hillclimbing - still winning events today, 10 years later with it's current owner.
My point is - why not take your front bar off completely and increase the springing?
Something to think about?
Mark

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The front bar went off the minute I put the coil over suspension on ;-) Not sure what spring rate my set is, a lot stiffer then normal that is for sure.

My springs at the back are springs from a Opel Rekord station. They have the same diameter as the Sprint ones but are a lot (and I really mean a lot) stiffer to keep that heavy weight german car up in th air.

For me this works great but I think there is a bit more to gain with a rear anti-roll bar. A bit of body roll on the front is not bad, body roll actually helps keeping the front wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Problem with super stiff springs is that they might cause cracks on the car's mounting points. Sprints works better with little body roll and 50kgr weight on the trunk....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think the springs are to blaim there. I think the problem with cracking joints is the polyurethane bushes. When the car is leaning to one side the joints are twisted, polyurethane prevents this causing extra stress on the joints. Currently I still have the standard rubber bushes and don't have a problem with the joints yet.

When I get to it I will replace the rubber bushes with rose-joints. With rose-joints there is still the possibility to twist but the axle can't move forward or backwards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts