Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I'm 53 years old and I don't like the new website it is not very intuitive when compared to the older website known as classic view. I've been on here before having been trolled off a few years ago but came back as a different user, not feeling like I can be a subscriber anymore. Best wishes to you all, I love both of my Alfa's but don't think this works for me anymore.

·
Registered
32,697 Posts
I very much doubt you'll be the only one to cease use of the forum because of the change which is a shame. Maybe give it a little more time before you go?

All the best.
It certainly seems to have reduced the amount of threads written and replied

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks J. That's sorted the readability. Now to sort the navigation.

I understand that to progress one must change but change does not necessarily mean progress.

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
421 Posts
It certainly seems to have reduced the amount of threads written and replied
This is the biggest problem: if people don't like/can't navigate the new site, then it falls into (relative) disuse. I wonder what the motivations and objectives were behind these changes, and whether they've been achieved? Presumably the intention wasn't to alienate users and reduce traffic.

"The classic Alfas" forum used to be my natural home, but seems to have gone very quiet indeed since these changes. So I now check the page much less often (because there are so few new posts), which means I'll inevitably post less often myself. I perceive a danger of a self-fulfilling prophesy, and an inexorable decline...

·
Administrator
45,052 Posts
Is it actually harder to use than the old forum? Or has it not been given a chance?

It's a hell of a lot faster than the old software, which would forgive it a lot for me.

But after a few minutes exploring, I don't see what's more difficult.
There's a button which brings up the forum list.
There's a button which brings up any new posts - and you can filter those new posts in several ways which you couldn't before.
There's a button which accesses things personal to you - like replies to your threads, likes, quotes, etc.

So that's three buttons to access everything we had on the old forum. Where's the complication?

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
No issues whatsoever with navigation or ads, I'd just prefer a background other than black or white to make things easier to read. The grey, which I think was known as 'classic' was my preferred setting last time and that was perfect.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
It is a truth universally acknowledged that all forums are based on a limited range of software packages, all of them old, clunky and not intuitive. That's unlikely to change, as forums are so yesterday, darling, in this era of social media. Any change of platform risks losing members as some won't stay around to adapt, especially when activity is waning anyway. But sticking with an old package which, I'd guess, now requires too much technical support is not really an option.

Two days ago I thought: aaargh, this is the end. Now, after a few goes at doing the basics, finding the threads I want and making a post or two, it's really no harder than before.

·
Registered
37,281 Posts
I must admit that after a few days on the new site I did prefer the old layout.

However I am going to give it my best shot, because as they say "If things don't change then they'll stay the same as they are", and I am sure there were very good reasons for doing it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have spent a bit more time on the site and it is maybe not as bad as I thought. I've had a really bad weekend technology wise and the change of the website co-inciding with my Sky email account bombing for the same sake of change probably put me into a very bad frame of mind. I've got my email back and yes there are just 3 buttons to get to most things, however could you make the technical help forums more prominent, instead of a sub menu. They are probably one layer down from where they were on the old site?

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Why am I getting the cookie box every time I log in? I marked what I wanted, and didn't want.....and I don't wanna change my damn mind!

·
Registered
300 Posts
From a moderators’ point of view on another forum, the new platform is leagues better than the old. All it requires is a bit of exploration and use. I’m reading the same comments here as we got months ago. I found a way around the adverts (use adblocker) and, to repeat for the umpteenth time, to increase the width of the post column, I hold my iPad long side vertical. This eliminates the third column on my page. Using dark mode also helped me as I found it easier to identify the new icons contrasted against a dark background.
I can find my old posts using ‘Advanced search‘ BUT they don’t appear in chronological order. The apparent random order they appear in is time wasting.
I had similar criticisms but spending a little time using it increases familiarity (obviously). You’ll find posting photographs and videos much easier now too.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
I only visit forums on my puter. I can cope (and prefer) FaceBook with my phone but that's about it. I work in IT and we are constantly changing things for various reasons and not always (IMO) for the better.
I am using Xenforo on three other sites and the interface is much more intuitive (or familiar) than this. This really is quite different and I am/will a struggle to use it.
Fortunately I no longer have an Alfa so do not need to visit the technical sections. Hopefully I'll get used to it but so far I'm hating it 😁

1 - 20 of 150 Posts