Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:disappointed:
Hey all,

I'm getting some really bad tyre wear on the front of the car.
The inner front right, in particular, is bad - as you can see in the image.

So, some background.
Got the G - no obvious issues on any tyres.
Dropped it on Eibach and B4s.
20mm spacers rear and 16mm spacers front.
Put 4 new Bridgestone tyres on.

Then some time on noticed inner tyre wear on the rear and a little on the front.
Had the rear bushings replaced with the poly busings from Autolusso.
Then full 4 wheel alignment - everything was in the green on the print out so I was a happy lad.
I had kind of blamed the front on the rear bushes as the RHS was very worn.

Front tyres wore out, more inside but not as bad as in the image so I put rear on the front and others on the rear - to burn off the old rears with a bit of inner wear before the winter.

Found out the wear was so bad when I got a "puncture" and took the wheel off to realise I had worn through.
I presume as the tyre already had some inner wear that it made the whole situation worse and the attached picture resulted.

So, what could it be??
The car actually drives fine, handles fine, doesn't really pull to one side.
Ya it does a tad on uneven surfaces but it has wide tyres as standard
Surely dropping 30mm isn't it?
Would the 16mm spacers do it? Put the geometery out that bad?
No hint of uneven wear from the rears anymore so that's good.

The more I think about it, I wonder did I mix up the LH and RH top strut bearings 2 years ago?
It's not my first Rodeo, I've been lowering cars for 25 years and done many but I can't remember if I took the LH/RH part into consideration or not - that could be an age thing!
As there are different parts LH & RH obviously they should go in the correct places, but would mixing them up result in such inner wear when the tracking / camber is fine?
On new tyres, by the time the main part is just about legal, the inner part is worn bald and tending to show nylon on the very inner edge.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The thing with alignment is you are relying on a tech who is competent in using the equipment,the quality of the equipment and also the ramp they do alignment on is perfectly level.

Having said that you have some serious wear going on there, my first port of call after tyre replacement would be to take it to somewhere who’s business is alignment as those guys will be more competent than your tyre fitting types.

To be worn like that I would suspect something is bent. Top mount could pay a part I suppose if you did mix them up as they are handed for a reason.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are they stock wheels? If so, you've moved the centre of rotation from, say, the middle of your tread width, inboard. Your tyres are now scrubbing on cornering. Your wheel alignment could still be spot on when your wheels are straight, but are not in the correct geometry when you turn the wheel. Get rid of the spacers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's current plan A.
Remove the front spacers and keep an eye on the tyres.
Job for this weekend, if the rain stops

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would also check your wishbones, they often cause inner tyre wear too
They were newly replaced two years ago - I'd like to think they are still ok.
This tyre wear issue was from the beginning as well when the arms were brand new.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back again! Just a quick update.
Was replacing drop links which started to knock as soon as I took the front spacers off strangely enough.
As the strut top bearings are handed, I was afraid that I might have mixed them up when replacing these, springs and shocks 2 years ago.
Compared the ones on the car to the old ones I didn't throw away and thankfully I hadn't mixed them up.

Then there is the alignment of the actual strut bearing which has a shaped rubber part on the unit.
This can be aligned to a hole in the chassis either toward the bulkhead or toward the front of the car.
I posted earlier on this asking which is correct.
So, it seems aligning the hole in the rubber to the hole in the chassis toward the front is correct.

Mine were like this, facing forward. So it appears that my wear was all caused by the front wheel spacers.
Time will tell if this is actually correct but nothing else looks to be incorrect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts