Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right so I get my oil leak sorted which turns out to only be a seal,now since returning from garage have a really annoying tappety noise and seems to loose power when you get to about 3500revs.I have tried disconnecting maf for the loss of power issue,no better,also checked air filter etc all looks ok,any ideas?
The tappety noise is constant and is definately coming from the top of the engine,ive tried disconnecting variator,this didnt stop it.The car has clean/fresh oil in and plenty of it,also just recently had 16 new valves,also checked all spark plugs they all seem to be tight.Anyone got any other ideas as to what this might be please?? Any pointers would be much appreciated.
:confused:

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I guess variator.
Disconecting it will not help you, the cable just controls the variator solenoid that leads oil pressure to it. But variator rattles as its spring failed and cant hold the oil pressue inside variator.

Why was your car in garage and had valves replaced, were they bent? The noise might come from hydraulic tappets as well that might be damaged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car was in the garage for the oil leak that was making a mess of my undertray! The valves were replaced by previous owner,my friend,not sure why they were replaced though,may investigate this further..I have only had this car just over a month,but I know the previous owner,and apart from the valves and a few new batterys,i say a few as he had a rear light drain,which he never found,but when i bought the car i replaced faulty rev counter,which sorted this problem.I have been under the bonnet again this afternoon,and it does sound like a variator rattle,how could I tell for sure without just replacing it then?? I thought if I disconnected lead and rattle stopped it was defo that.any other ways i can check it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts