Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
141k. Aren't the batteries going to be a bit crap now?

·
Registered
24,536 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's the plan for shifting the 2nd hand market into EVs? A massive scrappage scheme that quickly swills new vehicles into the market?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
EVs, apart from some of the aftermarket conversions, don't have a gearbox at all I don't think. As peak torque is available from 0rpm to about a zillion rpm they don't really need one.

Hybrids for plebs are largely all CVTs or variations on that theme. The 918 has actual gears that some of its many engines are connected to.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
What's the plan for shifting the 2nd hand market into EVs? A massive scrappage scheme that quickly swills new vehicles into the market?
I hope there isn't one because I don't think it's practical for everyone to have one, and won't be for probably decades. e.g. Every house on my street has a driveway but most only accommodate 1 car. Everyone has at least 2 cars, some have more. By the end of the summer I expect our house to have 4 cars. At least one will be parked across the road. Is someone from the council going to come along and install charging points all along every street or is it going to be extension leads a-go-go? Who will pick up the tab for grannies, blind folk and the gormless tripping and hurting themselves? What happens when next door's dog chews through your lead and you get up for work to find a flat batt and a crispy dog? Can the national grid provide enough juice for all of us?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts